iPhones / iPads...

GeekyOwl

PF Regular
Feb 12, 2012
Pennsylvania
Anyone else's children know how to work your phones and iPads better than you do?

I tell my son the passcode one time and he remembers it and can unlock it with no problem. I download a new game and he'll play it before I do and then I actually ask him how to play it, lol!

One of our favorite games to play together on the iPad is checkers. These things are great for long car rides!

I have a feeling he'll be working on computers or designing video games when he's older. :)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
My daughter has a Ipad. They have several Autism specific apps. And much cheaper than what is sold.

Cole thinks he is "Super Computer Genius" but I keep having to pull his stuff out of the muck. I hope he gets better than me soon. Its like a part time IT job around here.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
ODS has an iPod Touch that he's been using like a pro since he was 2 years old lol! He loves that thing.

He can also use mine and my mom's iPhones (they are basically the same thing).

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Both my kids are good at the computer for what they play on it. Elliott is an Angry Birds maniac on the PC. We dont have smart phones but his baby sitter does and she let him play Angry Birds on it. He calls it his "Angry Birds Remote"

He can also get around the Tivo remote like he can read (but he cant)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh my gosh ECD Eli is the same way with the Wii. He plays games that require a suprising amount of reading and selecting of words to be able to navigate your way through. He plays and selects appropriately as if he knows how to read, but he doesn't! lol

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
ElliottCarasDad said:
Both my kids are good at the computer for what they play on it. Elliott is an Angry Birds maniac on the PC. We dont have smart phones but his baby sitter does and she let him play Angry Birds on it. He calls it his "Angry Birds Remote"

He can also get around the Tivo remote like he can read (but he cant)
That is funny! Mine don't like it on the computer as much as they do on the phones...me, it just pisses off no matter which system I am on lol

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
haha, I have it on my laptop and play it quite a bit and if he sees me he'll come over and say "I got 3-stars on that one daddy" and walk away.

:speechangry:

He also will go to the youtube videos from the game and he calls that "Angry Birds TV", lol.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL ECD Eli goes on youtube to look up walkthroughs for his video games when he can't figure out what to do. hahaha

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
maybe im just old fashoned. i very rarely let my kids play video games and stuff like that. i know i cant stop em forever but i can try. lol i prefer them to use their own imaginations. i did get my 10yo his own laptop but he keeps it simple. its mostly youtube. he likes watching spongebob in chinese. (ya i dont get it either) my 7yo doesnt even know how to use a remote but grandma taught her all about angry birds and farmville.
idk maybe i am crazy for not wanting them to be overly tech savvy so young. i like the fact that my kids find other things to do instead of always having a controller in their hands. however, there are times that i wish my daughter knew how to operate the remote. it would save me so much time lol

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
Xero said:
Oh my gosh ECD Eli is the same way with the Wii. He plays games that require a suprising amount of reading and selecting of words to be able to navigate your way through. He plays and selects appropriately as if he knows how to read, but he doesn't! lol
you would be surprised. sometimes they can learn to read only what they need to for a game. it took me months to figure out that my daughter was faking it about not knowing how to read when she was 3. then i caught her. sometimes they dont want you to know that they are smarter than you think they are. my oldest likes to play that game too. but he cant hide it well.

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
Ha ha, angry birds are sooo addictive, we even just received some clothing with their logos on it..

When we're waiting in line somewhere or when we have to wait in a waiting room, I always hand my phone to my daughter, she jumps on Angry Birds right away.. she is not great at it, but she just won,t stop.

She goes on Barbie.com a lot too on her computer ! She loves it ! But of course, I keep the computer/TV/phone/tablet time low so she can actually use her own head a bit ! ;)

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I don't have an iPhone nor iPad. I wish I did. My daughter once complained that her cousin could play games on his daddy's phone, but all she could do on mine was press numbers. Ha.

Last weekend, she was playing with some other cousins' iPhones. They seem to be extremely user-friendly.

Though she does not have regular access to an iPhone, she can find her way around a computer very well. She was using the orange dot mouse from the age of 2.5, and had no trouble with it.

A friend of mine gave my daughter her tween daughter's rejected mini laptop, and she has her own password and her homepage is PBSkids.org.

I think this generation of kids is born with a sort of instinct for these things.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, DS1 has a laptop and android tablet, DS2 routinely uses mom's iphone or my android phone. The only scary part is getting it back from him and finding the screen on android market....

Other than DS1 recently spending too much time on netflix watching inane disney shows (over and over again) when he should be reading, we don't really have an issue with them spending too much screen time. They like playing soccer, playing music, playing imaginary school and "kitchen" together. I don't mind their level of tech savy-ness. And it is amazing how intuitive it is for them.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
IADad said:
yeah, DS1 has a laptop and android tablet, DS2 routinely uses mom's iphone or my android phone. The only scary part is getting it back from him and finding the screen on android market....

Other than DS1 recently spending too much time on netflix watching inane disney shows (over and over again) when he should be reading, we don't really have an issue with them spending too much screen time. They like playing soccer, playing music, playing imaginary school and "kitchen" together. I don't mind their level of tech savy-ness. And it is amazing how intuitive it is for them.
Vanna did the same thing on Netflix once. I swear didnt see her for 2 days, not really but dang close :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
and it's the same episodes of "Suite Life on Deck..." makes me want to scream, and then I think about all the time I spent glued to "Gilligan's Island" and "Brady Bunch" after school, and it didn't matter if I'd seen it 40 times before...so I gulp and try to suggest other activites and just be thankful he doesn't want to shoot things/people and he still talks with me.

GeekyOwl

PF Regular
Feb 12, 2012
Pennsylvania
My son LOVES Mario & our Wii. He knows how to set up the games and for how many people are playing and everything. It's really amazing. And he started that last year when he was 4.

@momtoallkids - I don't let my kids be glued to the TV or the iPods all day. No more than an hour a day. I really don't see anything wrong with it. When I was their age, I played the first Nintendo. It brings us together. Caleb & I will play Nintendo & even though Marion isn't really into the Wii, she'll sit with us & watch Netflix on the iPad. But, again, that's not the only thing we do. My kid's don't touch the remote, either. They know that I pick what they watch on TV, lol