Is it normal to be this scared?...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Or am I just bring rediculous?

I'm really excited, but I'm also utterly terrified!

Seriously, it's not my first, so I'm supposed to know what I'm doing by now, but I'm freaking out a little bit. :/ We have less than 4 Weeks to go, and we're as prepared as can be, ito everything that can be bought, built, or knitted, but I keep driving myself crazy, thinking of everything that can still go wrong, and then all the ways in which I can screw him up over the next 18 years! And the worst part is, my GF is looking to me for guidance, in the misguided belief that just because I already have a kid, I'll know what to do...

Please tell me this is normal, and that it'll all be ok once I hold him in my arms, (or to quit being stupid, which ever it's more accurate)... :eek:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Yes it's normal, and I really struggle with the idea of you screwing up a kid. Somehow I can't see it happening.

pwsowner

PF Enthusiast
May 15, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A friend of mine had a baby girl Nov 3 and they were both happy, anxious, nervous, and scared. They now have a healthy baby girl, and are both exhausted but happy.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
pwsowner said:
they were both happy, anxious, nervous, and scared.
Yup, that pretty much describes both of us :yikes:

Well, at least you're telling me it's normal... So I guess we'll just have to hang in there and not fixate on everything that could possibly go wrong...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Wait....4 WEEKS? When the hell did this happen? Wow it seems like yesterday that you announced it to us.

Yes, it's very normal. It didn't matter if it was kid number 1 or kid number 8. I had concerns, and was anxious. If I learned nothing, I have learned no 2 labors are the same.

You guys will do great!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
mom2many said:
Wait....4 WEEKS? When the hell did this happen? Wow it seems like yesterday that you announced it to us.

Yes, it's very normal. It didn't matter if it was kid number 1 or kid number 8. I had concerns, and was anxious. If I learned nothing, I have learned no 2 labors are the same.

You guys will do great!
Hard to believe, isn't it? Like, where did the last 7 months go? :err: and here we are, at 36 1/2 weeks. Her mission for this weekend is to pack her bag :eek: and my assignment is to figure out how to install the car seat...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
The new car seats are a pain. At least in the U.S. they are. Do you have the LATCH system over there? Basically I'm the only one with small enough fingers to get the hooks on and off those things, and I pinch myself on them half the time. And don't forget the one in the back! I'd just as soon use the seat belt, but if the buckle moves freely on the belt, you have to attach one of those I-shaped metal pieces and everything gets twisted.

The detachable bases for infant car seats are definitely worth it!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
YES! ARGH!

I had to help my sister in law install hers recently. Was not happening. We ended up going to the mechanic and he looked at it and groaned.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I think what you call the LATCH system is what we call ISOFIX?

It turned out to be quite easy to install, actually. Easier than Steffi's was. Her's was also ISOFIX, but getting it to clip in at the back was a pain. This one has two fittings that extend on the back, which you just press against the metal brackets, and they clip in quite easily. Then you push the entire thing back and it locks into place. Took me about 5 minutes. I don't really want to know how hard it is going to be to take out, but at least I don't have to worry about that yet. :p Thank goodness we got one with a detachable base, and the next size up uses the same base, so we're good for quite a while. :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Whenever I got full of panic and self-doubt, I always tried to think about all the idiots, who despite being idiots somehow manage to raise children successfully, then I put it into context that simply by caring about what I'm doing and how I'm doing it it probably puts me in the upper 80th percentile.

The thing that always got me was having to instll the clip thing on adjustable belts, that was nearly impossible. I got a thing called a "mite-E-tite" it was a ratcheting clip, loved that thing. I'm sure the buerocrats didn't like it because it was simple and it worked, but I loved it.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
singledad, if you are nervous, anxious, excited, then I have to say that you are a completely caring and responsible parent. If you weren't all of those things, I would say you probably aren't normal :)

My brother in law drove his car to the police station after I installed their first car seat many years ago to have them check it :) I thought it was the cutest thing ever! He wanted to be absolutely certain the thing was installed properly. I think they were more than happy to help. Put my brother in law's mind at ease.

I am wishing you a quick, safe, healthy delivery! So exciting!!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone :)

Yesterday was her last working day, so she is officially on maternity leave now. Her doctor says the baby can come any day now... :yikes:

ella

PF Regular
Feb 17, 2014
It is normal I think. I was so scared when we had our first child. But once you have the child in your arms, you know that you will be the best parent that you can be for them.