Is the key to fighting childhood obesity a media diet?...

RegalSin

Banned
Sep 3, 2011
I am not going to tell a huge story, or relate to anything.

Flat fact. Fat people can't stop eating. A computer is an idea place for zits
( cool dry place, for sweat to stay ). You don't exersize with some sort of
activity, your going to gain some weight.

Parents are people who makes mistakes. That is how they became parents in the first place.

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
we have limited tv time (our afternoons are -home from school, afternoon tea, outdoors, homework, TV if time, dinner, chores, showers, tv if time, books, bed) so its rarely on, and usually the news before dinner, and 'junk' cartoons before bed.
We dont watch tv much ourselves, infact we moved house and our tv stayed packed for 4 months, until we decided to set it up and play the playstation sports game (over the middle of winter)
No magazines in the house (though they do borrow them from the library) as I feel they are a waste of money (but if they choose to spend their own money on them, thats fine)
We also have at least 1 outdoors day each weekend (unless its the middle of winter) where we garden, play at the park, have a picnic, ride our bikes.
We are both fit people, and that rubs off on the kids I think

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
alter ego said:
we have limited tv time (our afternoons are -home from school, afternoon tea, outdoors, homework, TV if time, dinner, chores, showers, tv if time, books, bed) so its rarely on, and usually the news before dinner, and 'junk' cartoons before bed.
We dont watch tv much ourselves, infact we moved house and our tv stayed packed for 4 months, until we decided to set it up and play the playstation sports game (over the middle of winter)
No magazines in the house (though they do borrow them from the library) as I feel they are a waste of money (but if they choose to spend their own money on them, thats fine)
We also have at least 1 outdoors day each weekend (unless its the middle of winter) where we garden, play at the park, have a picnic, ride our bikes.
We are both fit people, and that rubs off on the kids I think
A very good comment, it very much does rub off on them. DW and I are not particularly fit, we've been trying to eat healthier and get more exercise, with a bit of success. We didn't get here overnight, we won't fix it overnight, but we're trying. For a while I was running every morning and the other night, as we were determining prizes for my 4 yo doing something, he asked if I would wake him up to go for a run in the morning (so obviously he thinks I still do, I'd better get back on that) It was so cool to see how much he wanted to do something because I "do" it. I'm glad I had set a positice example at some point, now it's time to follow through and develop and foster some more good ones to develop.

Our older son, has some poor eating habits (mostly that he eats extra carbs that he doesn't need) and has a little bit of a belly started, so I think our winter project is for both of us to reduce our bellies through eating well and exercising. He's very active, so the exercise part won't be much of a challeenge, but he loves competition, so we'll make it into one.