Is the word bullying overused?...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Not quite that easy when said 'punk kid' is relentless. Or when it's 'punk kids' plural. Or when said 'punk kid' was someone very close and very trusted by the person being bullied.

I think that's part of the problem. Thick skin is important, yes, but real bullying can't be solved with thick skin.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Big thing here is when responsible adults fail to supervise and nasty kids take advantage of a situation.
Older kids are picking on my son, he lashes back and gets in trouble.
I get told off for not teaching my son "non-resistance"... How nice is that?

Even better... My best friend's boy has learning difficulties. His (black) classmates beat him up for being a racist because he is white, has short hair, and wears his favourite football team scarf. They are just 11 years old.

JulieC

Mar 14, 2014
Coastal Virginia
Any word can be over used and I think bullying is too wide a brush...some say bullying to mean teasing (some teasing is good natured of course, but then there is targeted, relentless teasing), cyber bullying, racial bullying, physical bullying, and relational aggression.

When it becomes physical then it is assault. Too many people call it bullying because it doesn't sound as bad as it is. Black eyes, stabs, bites, broken bones and so on is not bullying. It's physical assault and that's a crime.

Girls tend to use relationships to hurt other girls so in this instance, relational aggression would be the better term than bullying.

But there are some who are tired of hearing about bullying because once we know about something we have to<I> do</I> something about it! Some don't want to be bothered; some have no idea <I>what </I>to do.

I remembered when child abuse was first being talked about openly, before too long people were saying that they were sick of hearing about child abuse. Then when domestic abuse was being talked about openly, there were some who were tired of hearing about that, too.

So yes, the word bullying is over used in many instances but I suppose it's better than not talking <I>and doing</I> something about it.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
JulieC said:
So yes, the word bullying is over used in many instances but I suppose it's better than not talking <I>and doing</I> something about it.
I suppose that is one way to look at it - and yes, talking about it is better than just ignoring it...

sinbad

May 12, 2014
I think kids need to learn to deal with other kids. When they are adults - they will not have a parent there to fight their battles for them. However - I have a 3yr old and a 2yr old. Sometimes we are around other kids at a park or wherever - and some of these other kids are just WAY out of control. Throwing things at other kids, pushing, hitting. I mean come on - take some control over you kid. Don't make me do it. I can tell my daughter to use her words and ask nicely if they will stop being absurdly out of control - but I can only ask so much of a 3 yr old. After a while I just have to tell the other parent to do something with their wild animal.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
If an adult behaves nasty to another adult, things are called for what they are -- assault, sexual harassment, discrimination, blackmail, defamation -- these things are illegal, and can be taken to police/court. Yet when culprits and victims are children, its no big deal, right?