is there a chance the 20 week ultrasound is wrong?...

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
Hi,

at my 12 week NT scan, the ultrasound tech said it was most likely a boy, though she told me to confirm it at the next scan. although i wanted a girl, i then made up my mind and told my son i am carrying his brother. i even chose a name!

at the next 20 week scan, the ultrasound shows its a girl. the tech told me this is the first time she had told an incorrect gender at the NT scan. and now, i started planning all over again. my son always wanted a sister so it wasnt a problem. but i was wondering what if i buy pinky things and the 20 week result turns out to be wrong and i deliver a boy. should i start planning or wait for another scan to confirm? is there a chance the 20 week scan could be wrong?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
With my second I was told that they were positive it was a girl, pretty sure that was at 22wks. Out popped a boy.

That was in 1996 though, I am sure ultrasound technology has come leaps and bounds since then.

If you are unsure maybe just stick with neutrals for the time being?

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
yea maybe... its just excitement going on...when they first told me its a boy, i was so excited and happy about it that when it turned out to be the other way, i felt a bit disappointed. but i am excited for a girl now and my husband is also very happy...
maybe we should never have asked in the first place.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The 20 week is more reliable. If she saw a hamburger versus a hot dog the odds are better it's a girl. That's why a lot of ultrasound techs won't say anything before the 20 week mark.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I think the 20 week "diagnosis" is more reliable than the earlier one. Yes, it can still be wrong, but what's the harm in a few pink outfits if it's a boy? Just don't go crazy buying outfits. And be sure to bring one of each to the hospital or birth center, so your child's going-home outfit is appropriate. (It'll be that special outfit in all the newborn pictures, so make sure it's something you're proud of!)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
I think the 20 week "diagnosis" is more reliable than the earlier one. Yes, it can still be wrong, but what's the harm in a few pink outfits if it's a boy? Just don't go crazy buying outfits. And be sure to bring one of each to the hospital or birth center, so your child's going-home outfit is appropriate. (It'll be that special outfit in all the newborn pictures, so make sure it's something you're proud of!)
My first son went home in a white outfit. We never wen overboard on the blue, partly because we didn't tell anyone else the gender before the birth. He was also born 11 lbs 2 oz. So, there's a cautionary tale....you might not want to invest too heavily in newborn stuff (plus people are going to give you lots of things) It's a shame when you have something and infant never wears or maybe wears once.

BTW, congratulation!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I hadn't heard of a 'coming home outfit' until I had my last. I don't have any photos from the days they came home either.