Is this normal?...

faithhopelove

Feb 8, 2016
Vermont
Hi All,
I am dealing with something that is weighing heavy on my heart tonight. Last night I let my four year old have his first sleep over that was at a friends house. I have known the mother since I was a young child because my mother ran a daycare. However, I did not really grow up with her because she was 5-6 years younger. About 4 months ago I started watching her children 2 days a week before school and have gotten to know her much better. Although, I do not agree with some of her parenting techniques I do believe she does the best she can and is a good mother. So, I was hesitant because my son is rather young, but ultimately I said okay. After picking him up today he says, "mom I need to tell you something important." As my heart sank I kept calm and asked him, "what it was." "Well, " he says, "Sammy, told me last night if I don't be quite that he was going to open my mouth, plug my nose, and make me drink pee." I was shocked because, although, I have seen behavior from this child that I did not deem appropriate, this one floored me. I guess I have two questions, one, is this normal for a 4-5 year old to say and the other what do I do about it in regards to talking to his mom? I am now concerned with my son being around the other child, am I being irrational, trying to shelter him too much, or am I right to think maybe I need to separate my son? Thanks All!

Last edited:

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Sounds like something boys say to one another when frustrated.
There shouldn't be any issues letting the other mom know what was said. I don't think it's unusual enough to halt them hanging out. If you're concerned enough then maybe lessen the sleep-overs until your comfortable that he's safe with the other boy.