Johnson & Johnson...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
So, i was wondering if this has happened to any of your kids. So far in my Hot Moms! group, and just my mom friends in general, it is a reoccuring event. When using the J&J new sleepy time bath or cream our kids break out into a rash. Without fail, after using either of these products they break out in a raised bump, ezcemaish looking rash. So i was currious if anyone else has experienced this with J&J products :confused: , and if so, has anyone thought about contacting the company??

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I never used J&J products, so I never had that happen - but if you think that there is a correlation I would definitely at least do more research on it if not contact the company - the only thing there is that they probalby have a disclaimer about discontinuing use if a rash develops or something

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Here is what I found online for you:

I was using Johnson and Johnson Nourishing Milk Lotion on our son until I read the ingredients and seen what was in it. Here is a list
of the bad things I know of currently.
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Dimethicone</LI>
    <LI>
  • Fragrance</LI>
    <LI>
  • Methylparaben</LI>
    <LI>
  • Butylparaben</LI>
    <LI>
  • Ethylparaben</LI>
    <LI>
  • Propylparaben</LI>
    <LI>
  • Isobutylparaben</LI>
</LIST>Those are just a few of the ingredients I know of that cause harm in various ways to your children and your own self if you use these products.
Here is what they do.
Dimethicone
A silicone derived emolient. Silicone emollients are occlusive - that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.)
Recent studies have indicated that prolonged exposure of the skin to sweat, by occlusion, causes skin irritation. Some synthetic emollients are known tumour promoters and accumulate in the liver and lymph nodes. They are also non-biodegradable, causing negative environmental impact.
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Dimethicone</LI>
    <LI>
  • Dimethicone Copolyol</LI>
    <LI>
  • Cyclomethicone</LI>
</LIST>Also:
  Johnson &amp; Johnson Baby Products BAD! by Product Alert - Cancer causing products

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Anything that's not perfume or dye free will make my DK's eczema flare. We use either Dove or Ivory soap for sensitive skin, and sparingly.

We also have to be careful with sunscreen. Many brands give my kids a rash, but Coppertone Kids doesn't bother them.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Johnson &amp; Johnson has a lot of nasty stuff in their products. I would never use any of conventional products with my kids.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I only used baby oil on mine after a bath and still do. I only have one daughter (the one with the allergy I think to mold) that has a constant rash. I use aquafor with her to no avail.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
many people think J&amp;J is aweful, so you ar not alone.
I don't use anyhting but the natural stuff when she was little. Now she uses Bath Junkie

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I use Johnson &amp; Johnson baby oil, lotion, bath soap, powder and shampoo. I personally love the products and Oliver has never had any problems.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I quit letting Dd have any bath lotions or bubbles as they seem to make her red in the sensitive areas, like underneath her knees and elbows. I got her a bar of aveeno soap and explained to her that she is ready for big girl soap. She likes it!