Just need to let this out...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You have had such an interesting life haha. You could make a movie. xD

Your mom is nuts lol but I don't have to tell you that.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
singledad said:
btw - What is a parlour? I don't even know!
I've even tried looking this up online and still can't get a definitive answer.

It's a room at the front of her house, only thing noteworthy about it is that it's tiled where the other living areas are carpeted. It had an antique sitting table with two chairs and a giant portrait of the Virgin Mary.
Only two people ever went in there, the maid, to dust it, and me during the summer to lie on the tiles when it was hot.

Mum always gushed about it to guests who had never been to our house before though "Hello dear welcome, welcome, oh I apologise for the maid not asking to take your coats TERESA WHYYYY AREN'T YOU OFFERING TO TAKE THEIR COATS? Welllcome to our home this is the parlouuuuur, we have a parlour" "Oh my, is your daughter okay?" "MARGARET GET OFF THE TILES".

My parents were 'new money'... very new money, they didn't know the difference between a maid and a butler and I was a real pain in the backside as a kid.

Xero said:
You have had such an interesting life haha. You could make a movie. xD
:laugh:

I promise it's not that interesting when you put it all together. Rich kid from strict, conservative home acts out as a teenager then falls for your typical early 90's grungy hippy guy and runs off with him. It would feature the most amazing variety of hairstyles and fashions though, a movie spanning the 70's, 80's and 90's. It would feature so much bad taste that I don't know if anyone could handle it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
cybele said:
I promise it's not that interesting when you put it all together. Rich kid from strict, conservative home acts out as a teenager then falls for your typical early 90's grungy hippy guy and runs off with him. It would feature the most amazing variety of hairstyles and fashions though, a movie spanning the 70's, 80's and 90's. It would feature so much bad taste that I don't know if anyone could handle it.
Still a better love story than Twilight.

:laugh:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
re your pump post: You'll recall my MIL is crazy too and it sounds like she could have had the same conversation (without the financial background) I still recall one of the biggest points of contention in our wedding reception planning, was over "nut cups" and specifically whether we needed them simply on the head table or all tables....nut cups, really..... Until recently I could always get a chuckle out of my wife simply by mentioning "nut cups." Now any mention of anything that reminds her of her mother only raises her blood pressure.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Now I work in the bridal industry and I have never heard of a nut cup. Could it be served in a parlour by any chance?

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Really? It's just a little decorative cup full of nuts. Guests munch on them while they wait. Kids throw them at each other, or burn them in the candles. We had mint cups at ours. :)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
cybele said:
Wait... it sounds like you're talking about my late wife :eek: Except her parents considered themselves "old money". Not sure if they were, really, because they seemed (and still seem) extremely impressed with themselves for having as much as they do. I always imagined "old money" would have more class. (The only person in that family with any class, IMO, was Thea :rolleyes:)

I wasn't really much of a hippy, but very, very grunge. All faded black T-shirts, frayed jeans and unkept hair... :p LOL.

Edit - I'm pretty sure I've never been in a house with a parlour. It sounds like an utterly useless room... :rolleyes:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
It's really not an uncommon story. I will never understand the appeal of the "my daddy owns a company so when I'm a big boy I will fall ass-backwards into the CEO chair, until then I play golf in expensive sweaters" guys.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
Now I work in the bridal industry and I have never heard of a nut cup. Could it be served in a parlour by any chance?
I would certainly think one could present nut cups in one's parlour (especially considering we're not exactly sure what a parlour is for...;-)

The term lounge always throws me for a second too (one of those things I have to stop and translate) We typically call them "Living Rooms" some older people simply call them "Front Rooms" ...or maybe those are parlours.....I feel a word analogy problem coming on...

Lounge is to Living Room as Parlour is to _____________ .

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
The house I grew up in was huge, it had what was essentially two living rooms. We called one the living room and the other the family room haha. Then we had another room of a similar size that was attached to one of them via a sliding glass door, and the walls were mostly windows. We called that the sunroom. And a good sized room right at the front door where all of our shoes and coats were, which we called the shoe room, but as far as I know a lot of people call it a vestibule. The only reason I'm even mildly familiar with the term parlor is due to my interest in historical literature haha.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Okay, I couldn't stop laughing this morning. It's Sasha's birthday on Sunday so I asked him if there was anywhere he wanted to go on Sunday and he goes "The Pancake Parlour"

Now THAT is a parlour that I understand the purpose of.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
cybele said:
Okay, I couldn't stop laughing this morning. It's Sasha's birthday on Sunday so I asked him if there was anywhere he wanted to go on Sunday and he goes "The Pancake Parlour"

Now THAT is a parlour that I understand the purpose of.
It there are pancakes, I can totally get into that. :yes:

Other than that, I have this weird image in my head of a large room with a bunch of little tables everywhere with cups full of nuts on them... :twitcy:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
She invited herself over for dinner last night. I can tell she's really lonely and has now realised that we are all she has, so I have told her that there are two conditions to her coming over
1. That she is respectful to everyone
2. That she apologise to Dita for the whole camp to turn gay teens straight thing she tried to force her into

She is yet to do number 2, and I am going to keep on her about that one. She is attempting to do number 1, I think. Well, she did ask Ash a few times "Your mother is obese isn't she?", which was weird because she isn't. But other than little shots (I have an ugly ceiling apparently) she behaved herself for the most.

We did have a spectacular argument about whether chickpeas come from chickens or not though. I'm thinking that my thing to work on here is to not get into these silly arguments about the origins of various legumes.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I don't know... if arguing is imminent, then the topic of legumes seems much less stressful than others...

I notice some people who struggle to create conversation rely on criticism or complaints for topics. Sometimes I think it's less about wanting to complain/argue and more about wanting conversation. You know, the kind that provokes discussion. I don't think people always consciously pick fights, but sometimes tend to start them on a quest for engaging discussion, you know?

Honestly, it's easier to find something to complain about than something interesting to multiple parties. Developing interests takes time. Criticizing things is easier.