Kids and exotic pets...

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I read that report on Yahoo. Must have been a link from Fox News. I wasn't paying that close of attention. We take our kids to the petting Zoo inside our local Zoo but then we hose them down with antibacterial lotion. Never know what those animals are carrying around with them.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Have also heard that pregnant women should not be around cats due to the bacteria in their saliva. Is there any truth to this or is it an urban legend. No problem for us my wife is allergic to cats anyway.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
It's not cats specifically its their poop. It has a certain bacteria in it (a quick google search would tell you but im too lazy) BUT they only can get that bacteria from outside so if your cat has never been outside you're still good to change the litter.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my kids have been around exotic pets their whole lives. I have 2 bearded dragons currently and Debralyn is getting a red earred slidder in a couple weeks. It all comes down to teaching your children the right way to handle their pets and how to properly clean their hands and equipment for their pet. Novel idea huh...actually learning about a pet before you buy it, and actually making sure your ready for the responsiblitly that comes with it