Kids and Violent Video Games...

void

Banned
Dec 2, 2010
I find it that kids who are violent tend to have bad parents. Almost every kid plays violent games but only a few are violent. I would not say that games increase that chance.

willow44

Dec 3, 2010
It depends on the child...our youngest does not process videogames very well and gets very angry and frustrated after playing such violent games...so therefore he is not permitted to play for awhile.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
willow44 said:
It depends on the child...our youngest does not process videogames very well and gets very angry and frustrated after playing such violent games...so therefore he is not permitted to play for awhile.
it is not because the game was violent, but because the kid is young. I was about 8 years old when I tried out the Super Mario on my cousin's Dendy (Chinese version of Super Nintendo). When I pushed "jump", i threw the joystick wire in the air -- because i put the feeling into "jump". And I got warned -- don't throw that wire, or we'll forbid you to play. well, it was a big challenge for me to hold the joystick without moving it. :eek:

so thank God for Wii and that my kids can have it :D

psmommy

Banned
Dec 2, 2010
I am tossed on one hand it should be our right to decide what our kids play, on the other hand some games just should not be played by kids and some parents just don't care

golfer7

Dec 15, 2010
I'm the parent and have the say. If somebody wants me to watch their kid, they must be ok with me not letting their child play the violent game.

I'm against it. It teaches immorality at a very impressionable age.

R2R

Dec 19, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga
sbattisti said:
I generally stick roughly to the guidelines, but I recently played Call of Duty with my 9-year old and he really enjoyed it. But every time we play, I make sure to use it as a bit of a "teaching moment" about WWII, or about war, or the military, or whatever.
That's very creative. Good job!! :)

Jake72

PF Regular
Dec 18, 2010
Alabama
I'm fine with not selling those games to someone under the age suggestion, but I would not be okay with the government telling me what I can and cannot allow them to do. If I wanted to buy and play M rated games with my son when he was 10, that's my choice.

Just as allowing my children to get a toy at McDonald's with their happy meal never made them fat, video games never screwed my children up in attitude, grades, or morals.

SavCat

Banned
Dec 31, 2010
We are all free to be bad parents. Half the time we probably don't even know half the bad things we're doing. Violent video games are just one of many many ways to be a bad parent. We can't control everything people do. I personally would probably limit the games my kids play, but I'm lucky in that they don't really like video games much. They have them, including some violent ones, but they don't play them, so I don't get involved with it.