Kids getting sunburned in school...

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just read this news report about some kids getting severely sunburned at school. They'd brought sunblock but weren't allowed to put it on. Apparently the school policies said no hats and no sunblock, unless you have a doctor's note. That's crazy. What's even more crazy, to me, is that the school allows the kids to be outdoors for 5 hours, and teachers are commenting on the fact that kids are getting sunburned, but no-one seems to think about taking them inside. Completely ridiculous.

My daughter's class went out the other day, and the teacher put sunblock on them. I didn't think they would be allowed to do that - partly because of potential allergies and partly because of touching kids (unless they used spray), but I'm certainly not complaining.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/22/jesse-michener-sunburn_n_1618964.html?utm_hp_ref=canada&ir=Canada[/url]

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That would really upset me. My ODS is extremely fair skinned and if he is out in even mildly sunny weather without sunblock and a hat he will get a very bad sunburn, very fast. I am crazy about putting sunblock and hats on both of my kids. Not only are sunburns painful, but they are bad for your skin. I would not like that at all. I would totally get that doctor's note lol.

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Schools need to be more responsible towards children. It is obvious that kids shouldnt be kept outdoors for 5 ears even if the sunblock is on. It is bad for the skin. And without the sunblock is a big issue. They need to allow kids to get head gear and sun screens to protect themselves. Sometimes schools really behave unreasonable under the pretext of being disciplined.