Laying down some strict rules......

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
Tonight has been hell.
I don't even want to really get into it all but lets just say had my mom not wrestled me for my phone and tried to have taken it from me (she didn't get it) I would have called the cops on both of them and had them admitted.

I'll give you a few examples....my brother leaving and telling my mom goodbye, her smoking after 21 years of not, her getting smashed, him being gone for nearly 4 hours not answering his phone and her going back and forth between moods and screaming at the top of her lungs and crying.

I don't feel they are emotionally stable enough to do much more than wipe their own asses.

My rules are as follows:
No more drinking.
No smoking.
All car keys stay with me. (I already have her set and I need to get his.)
No just taking off and not telling people where you are going.
Let me know where they are going if they do leave and check in often.
No screaming.

I could think of more but I keep pausing and staring out into space...ADD/tiredness is bad..

Now, I know I am 20 and she is my mom, my parent and I have no place to be setting rules etc and controlling them but last thing I need is her or him in jail or on a M-1 hold at the hospital...

I do have logic for these rules...
No drinking: My mom's moods sway when she drinks she can go from passive, to reckless to angry and pissed off in one night and cycle through them.
No smoking: She quit because she had kids and I don't think she should start now because its bad for her.
All car keys stay with me: I don't trust them. Especially my mom, she admitted to me tonight that she drove drunk numerous times when she was younger and not too long back maybe 2 summers ago, downed a whole bottle of wine...minus one glass she decided to slosh ALL in my hair and face and eyes and then hopped in her car... They can get them to go out during the day etc but when they get home I get them and I keep them overnight. If I feel either is unsafe to drive, well I have a license and will drive them myself.
No just taking off and not telling people where you are going: With their recent suicide threats I don't trust them. I want to know where they are going etc...
Let me know where they are going if they do leave and check in often: I don't like wondering if I am ever going to see them again. They left tonight after all the drama to go get food and now its 1am...scratch that...it's 2am...I haven't heard anything from them and they aren't answering their phones.
No screaming: This is the #1 reason why ANY cop has been to our house....their screaming. It's ridiculous...it sounds like someone is being killed when my mom screams and my brother just sounds like a monster.

I know SOMEONE is going to tell me to go make them seek professional help....well I know how the system works and with some people it does more damage than good and I have to think about my brothers career as a cop when he gets older...he has a lot of time before then and I don't want to see that chance go away because of fighting a cop or a doctor etc...he's really depressed and is in a bad spot in life but I have no doubt that he will get through this with some counseling and time and go on to live a happy life...

Does it sound unreasonable though?
Its kinda common courtesy like letting people you live with know where you are and check in often but its also for their safety etc...

If the time came the situation got bad enough I would call the cops. I think a lot of right now is deep depression and rebellion on both their parts

I am ready to swap parent roles with my mom.
I will cook dinner.
Handle bills.
Do more cleaning.
Drive them everywhere...
If my mom does it, i'll do it...

I do not want either of them out of the roads with the emotional states they get into and I don't want them running off in the middle of the night and not answering their phones...

My punishment...I call the cops.
If my 15 year old brother decides to take off on his bike in the middle of the night...you can bet your ass i'll be on the phone having them bring him home.
They decide to up and leave and make me worry if they are both dead or not....you can bet your ass i'll have a BOLO put out for them..
Drunk driving...I won't stand for it...I'll rat her out and then bail her out..but NO family member of mine will do anything like that..

My mom doesn't want police involvement at all.
I'm pretty sure they would go along with this until they were getting help and getting better..
Oh and counseling is a must...they have to be in counseling getting active help..

So what do you guys think?

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
12 midnight curfew for him as well.
I know no one can control him from leaving the house before then too well but that's the town curfew for people under 17 and under.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
This is so stupid I can't even come up with something snotty to say... lol

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Cop2be said:
Why would you be snotty about it?
Aren't you suppose to be a moderator?
Not snarky and snotty to people?
one more time :rolleyes:....this is a parenting forum and most parents aren't going to take all that kindly to your whining. Maybe what would really help you is a forum for young adults who live under their parents roof yet still believe they're owed more.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
fallon said:
one more time :rolleyes:....this is a parenting forum and most parents aren't going to take all that kindly to your whining. Maybe what would really help you is a forum for young adults who live under their parents roof yet still believe they're owed more.
Really fallon really?

Did you even read my original post?
I am worried about my mom and brother.
I DON'T want them running off in the middle of the night and driving while they are angry or possibly drunk.
I DON'T want my mom drinking because it creates an unsafe environment.
I DON'T want either of them getting into trouble with the law.

I stated I am willing to take on ALL my mom's responsibilities so she can take a break and focus on her self and my brother and get into some counseling etc.

And you guys think I am whining and feel I am owed more?

This is a much different change from everything else I have ever said.

You guys act like I am being unreasonable wanting to take on a huge responsibility and get my mom and brother some help...

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
I now know how my mom felt when I was out late and not answering my phone.
It was a horrible feeling.
Especially since my mom and brother had left, pissed at each other.

All I ask is that she stops drinking and screaming, because that does nothing but escalate the problem.
And that they stop running off in the middle of the night because she's either driving after drinking or he's driving pissed and road rages everyone...

But this is the same as whining about my mom's "rules" which she stopped having any for me after all this crap happened, two months ago.

Like I said.
I am willing to do it all. Grocery shopping, bill managing, house cleaning, basically whatever she does so she can sit back and focus on things.
All I ask is she stops drinking, smoking and they both NEVER drive if they have had anything to drink or if they are pissed off or extremely upset like they get.
And that they don't just run off and not tell anyone where they are or ignore their phones....
And they get counseling..

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
you have every right to be worried about her and your brother...you have no right to lay down rules for either of them

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
fallon said:
you have every right to be worried about her and your brother...you have no right to lay down rules for either of them
And why not?
Do I just let them continue on this self destructive path getting them no where or do I step in and get them to fix things in their life by making them answer to their horrible actions?

Its simple..
"Mom, don't smoke or drink. It's not doing you any good."
"Mom and (brother), neither of you can leave the house drunk or angry for hours on end and not answer when I call/text or I'll assume the worst and have the cops make sure you are ok"
"(Brother), you aren't 18 yet so you can be home by 12 every night unless you are with me or mom, you don't wanna be home by midnight then i'll have the cops give you a ride home.."

She doesn't want police involvement and he doesn't want to get kicked out of explorers....i'm pretty sure i'd be listened to.

The shizzit they do is tearing me apart and it makes me fear for their safety.
I spent an hour last night driving around looking for my brother when I could have been all nice and cozy in bed asleep...then got tailed by a cop because I was driving slow with my brights on trying to look for him and nearly crapped my pants...luckily he went straight when I turned.
The got to drive around with my mom screaming at the top of her lungs in the car one second about "that slut" my brother likes and then the next second telling me what a wonderful person I am...and then today acting like NOTHING happened...

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
It doesn't matter how you feel about what they do. It is not your place to decide what other people in your household do. You can suggest, you can hint, you can pester them about it all day long, but in the end their life is theirs and you cannot control it. Not only do you not have the right, it simply will not happen. You cannot force anyone to do anything they want. Think you can force a druggie to quit? You have to wait for them to WANT to quit, because nothing you say is going to change anything.

To be perfectly honest, given your attitude about your family in previous posts, I question whether it's as serious as you think...

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Try sitting in the hospital parking lot last night for who knows how long while my mom debated having him admitted...while they yelled and screamed and he hit, kicked and slammed things..

Or him crawling on the top of the car while she tried to drive off from the house...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Cop2be said:
Why would you be snotty about it?
Aren't you suppose to be a moderator?
Not snarky and snotty to people?
Aren't you supposed to be 20 years old instead of 10?
I'm not snotty to "people", I'm snotty to YOU because you're obnoxious and you're completely out of your mind, its very weird to me. And I was also joking. Note the "lol".

I apologize for being rude, it was slightly uncalled for, almost necessary, but <U>Don't</U> mouth off to me I don't need it. Quit being such a brat. If you don't like our answers, then FIND ANOTHER FORUM MORE SUITED TO YOUR NEEDS. We don't need harassed!! Solve your own problems, and quit whining about them to us and then flipping out when we give you advice. You're starting to look like a troll to me and I personally don't think we need someone like you around here, clearly only here to cause trouble.

This is the way I feel like you think: "Hmmm what can I say next to completely blow these people's minds about how rediculous and immature I am??" :rolleyes:

Would you PLEASE just grow up and move out already? Leave your crazy family to themselves.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i agree if you can't be mature enough to move out then your not mature enough to set rules for your mother she is an <U>adult</U> and at the end of the day she can do what ever the hell she wants.....

as for your brother, that is for your mother to deal with. when you have children you can set rules for them but until that point it is not your job... he is your mothers child. how about we leave the parenting to the parent ay???