Learning letters and sounds...

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just found out that my 2 year old knows most of the sounds the letters make. I knew she could recognize them all, but today she started singing the annoying-but-effective Leap Frog song "The A says 'a'", so I decided to test her. She definitely knows the sounds that more than half the letters make. It caught me by surprise to find out how well she knows her letters and sounds.

My 5 year old is a very good reader (probably at about a grade 2 level), and she's been doing a great job teaching her sister! What a pity she can't start Kindergarten for over a year - she'd love to be going to school with her big sister! :D

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
True. :) Although I'm the kind of mom that teaches anything and everything <I>all the time</I>. Nothing formal, just exposing my kids to every educational experience I can. I don't really think of it as homeschooling, though. My mother-in-law says I teach them too much, and they'll have nothing left to learn in school :rolleyes:

I also suffer from depression and need a break during the day. By giving myself a break I can be a better mom the rest of the time. I'm looking forward to her being in school so she can benefit from further educational and social situations, and I can have some time to myself. ;)

I kind of wish I had the energy, patience and mental health to be able to home school full time, though!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I didn't mean full out homeschooling, just setting up a little time in the day where you can work on little things that might be of interest to her.