Learning Mathematics...

prasanth23

May 27, 2017
What do you think is a child's time schedule when it comes to learning or practicing Mathematics on a daily basis? I think every child should practice arithmetic problems every day so he or she remains in touch with the subject. Mathematics is a subject that has to be practiced on a regular basis. Tables should be learned by heart from a very young age. What do you think in this regard?

Last edited:

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
It depends on the child. Memorization isn't always easy for some kids that learn best visually. You can teach them practical maths, such as measuring when cooking and building things. You can teach them about money and how to save and work out a small budget with their allowance. After they've mastered their shapes you can start teaching them the mathematical dynamics of that shape. It doesn't always have to be sitting down and writing out lines upon lines of equations and getting them to recite tables. They do enough of that in school. Why not make it interesting and relevant to them at home?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I had trouble with my first post and didn't think it posted properly so I tried to do another one.

Last edited:

Steveneraph

Jul 15, 2020
There are different strands of mathematics and they should be approached differently. Research shows that targeting fewer topics at once but mastering them helps students in the long run. There is a website where they have preselected the main core topics in each grade and target them with video lessons, notes and practice. 

katherinep

Jul 3, 2020
There are different strands of mathematics and they should be approached differently. Research shows that targeting fewer topics at once but mastering them helps students in the long run. There is a website where they have preselected the main core topics in each grade and target them with video lessons, notes and practice.
Thank you! Sounds like something i have been looking for to home school my daughter ever since pandemic started.. I will definitely check it out!

amandawong

Mar 7, 2021
What do you think is a child's time schedule when it comes to learning or practicing Mathematics on a daily basis? I think every child should practice arithmetic problems every day so he or she remains in touch with the subject. Mathematics is a subject that has to be practiced on a regular basis. Tables should be learned by heart from a very young age. What do you think in this regard?

Find a balance for both! Both practicing (some parents and teachers call this drilling) and hands-on ways to learn math through play are important. A lot of people argue for one way or another because they believe one strategy is better than the other. But the truth is, a balance of both is better! :)

Check out this online course:

https://www.udemy.com/course/early-childhood-numeracy-development/?referralCode=0EBAFE8DC5BC9A398704

Waboon

Mar 24, 2021
Of course, you are right. If we talk about mathematics, it should be taught from early childhood. It can avoid all the unpleasant problems at school and university. As we all have smartphones now, we can't calculate in our minds. But we still should train our brains. If kids do it every day, they will be able to make decisions faster than others. You can read about it at the Kindergarten Brooklyn website https://littlescholarsnyc.com/. I think you know about this daycare. They use progressive methods in children education.

brainzig

Sep 17, 2021
You can take utilize online websites Brainzig which provides free mathematics worksheet for free. It helps to pace up the learning and practicing various mathematics topic anytime, anywhere. Easy to download and free to use.
Do visit their website for fun games and extensive range of worksheet.

Happy learning!