Let's Lighten Up People...

dave

PF Regular
Jun 17, 2011
The swimming is so great, but so hard to get to a pool, i have to go to the university (which takes a donation to get a membership). And the parking is a nightmare. but , "onward through the fog" as they say.

GRATS IAdad im glad your taking better care. myself and all the parents out their need your advice so stick around.

Death can sure shock us into certain things. I worked for my dad ( a family physician) for years and i try to tell my brother (who is quite obese) that my father has ZERO patients over 60 that are his BMI. Thats out of over 10,000 patients....something to consider.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
dave said:
The swimming is so great, but so hard to get to a pool, i have to go to the university (which takes a donation to get a membership). And the parking is a nightmare. but , "onward through the fog" as they say.

GRATS IAdad im glad your taking better care. myself and all the parents out their need your advice so stick around.

Death can sure shock us into certain things. I worked for my dad ( a family physician) for years and i try to tell my brother (who is quite obese) that my father has ZERO patients over 60 that are his BMI. Thats out of over 10,000 patients....something to consider.
Thanks Dave, glad the swimming works for you, I'm just not comforatble enough with it and thus don't enjoy it at all, so it wouldn't be a good choice for me.

There is a dad of one of my son's classmates who is extremely overweight...and he's a cardiologist, I'm not sure how that works...
Dropped my BMI under 33 this moring! Woot!

dave

PF Regular
Jun 17, 2011
hmm a fat cardio... that actually sounds like a good thing. if he keeps himself going he can keep his patients going! (tongue in cheek)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
dave said:
hmm a fat cardio... that actually sounds like a good thing. if he keeps himself going he can keep his patients going! (tongue in cheek)
I've thought maybe he's drumming up business by lulling his patients into complacency...

Kali

PF Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
Louisville, KY
About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Since then, I've dropped my triglycerides from 545 to 193, my glucose from 384 to 78, my A1C from 13.2 to 8.1, and have lost 18 pounds. Kinda proud of myself. I have a problem with sticking to things and have really worked hard to maintain my current diet.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Kali said:
About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Since then, I've dropped my triglycerides from 545 to 193, my glucose from 384 to 78, my A1C from 13.2 to 8.1, and have lost 18 pounds. Kinda proud of myself. I have a problem with sticking to things and have really worked hard to maintain my current diet.
congrats, that's great news. My actual weight loss has been a little hard to track, I'll drop big numbers one day and gain a little back the next, but I'm trending lower.

You have very immediate and great reasons to take care of yourself right now. Feel free to post here, we can all help each other.

Shiroi Tora

PF Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2011
IADad said:
Good advise. I'm trying to only eat meat and cheese as one small part of a meal, not for snacks as I used to. and make much more of my meal fruit and vegetables. And I'm trying to not eat anything after 8 PM. I'm trying brushing my teeth at that point so I have that fresh mouth cue and a feeling of "I don't want to eat anything more, I've brushed my teeth for the night already..."

One question, if I start to lift, how do I determine what 80% of my max is? Also since I'm heavy, wouldn't situps and pushups be good starts to exercising large muscle groups?
Sorry...I've been gone for a bit. Sit ups should be done everyday...your abdomen muscles are important to keep strong as they tie the body together...or even better...one day sit-ups and the next day...hyper extensions...one for abs...and one for lower back. These are not for burning calories...making you slimmer...etc. These are the most important core muscles. They provide support and stability to the body. Along with daily stretching...they will help keep your lower back (probably the most commonly pulled...and most debilitating common injury there is) safe. Just do 4 sets of tiring but not highly straining exercises as part of your daily before stretching routine. You will feel amazed in short order...how much stress is relieved...and how much better you will feel by doing these along with stretching.

The max is determined by how much you can comfortably lift for one time.
If you are not at all in shape...make sure you start out light and work your way up. Just when you start to really slow down as you attempt the lift...that will be your max. Remember...always bench in a power rack.

If you don't have access to weights...then push ups done for many sets and a lot of reps per set would be your goal. You will end up working your butt off for far less gain in musculature. Remember...your goal is to build a bigger engine...not to burn off fuel as you exercise. Even when you do aerobics...most of your weight loss comes from the much higher metabolic rate your body will be set at all day long...and from the much faster rate of food transition through your intestines. It is pure scientific stupidity to only count calories burned during exercise. The prevalence came about for decades because most of the scientists were not athletes themselves. Were they so...it would have been intuitive...as they would have felt the effects themselves. And...if you do your aerobics within a few hours of bed...your weight loss will be dramatically sped up. When I was doing this...for years...I couldn't gain weight no matter what...or how much I had eaten. This was in my 30s and 40s mind you.

I know that many don't exercise much. That is why I listed this minimum level.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Shiroi Tora said:
Sorry...I've been gone for a bit. Sit ups should be done everyday...your abdomen muscles are important to keep strong as they tie the body together...or even better...one day sit-ups and the next day...hyper extensions...one for abs...and one for lower back. These are not for burning calories...making you slimmer...etc. These are the most important core muscles. They provide support and stability to the body. Along with daily stretching...they will help keep your lower back (probably the most commonly pulled...and most debilitating common injury there is) safe. Just do 4 sets of tiring but not highly straining exercises as part of your daily before stretching routine. You will feel amazed in short order...how much stress is relieved...and how much better you will feel by doing these along with stretching.

The max is determined by how much you can comfortably lift for one time.
If you are not at all in shape...make sure you start out light and work your way up. Just when you start to really slow down as you attempt the lift...that will be your max. Remember...always bench in a power rack.

If you don't have access to weights...then push ups done for many sets and a lot of reps per set would be your goal. You will end up working your butt off for far less gain in musculature. Remember...your goal is to build a bigger engine...not to burn off fuel as you exercise. Even when you do aerobics...most of your weight loss comes from the much higher metabolic rate your body will be set at all day long...and from the much faster rate of food transition through your intestines. It is pure scientific stupidity to only count calories burned during exercise. The prevalence came about for decades because most of the scientists were not athletes themselves. Were they so...it would have been intuitive...as they would have felt the effects themselves. And...if you do your aerobics within a few hours of bed...your weight loss will be dramatically sped up. When I was doing this...for years...I couldn't gain weight no matter what...or how much I had eaten. This was in my 30s and 40s mind you.

I know that many don't exercise much. That is why I listed this minimum level.
Thanks for the info. I've fallen off the wagon a bit, not gone totally off, but not been as disciplined as I could be. I had my 5k last week and another coming up in another week, so it's good to get this info. I like the analogy of the engine.

Kali

PF Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
Louisville, KY
IADad said:
congrats, that's great news. My actual weight loss has been a little hard to track, I'll drop big numbers one day and gain a little back the next, but I'm trending lower.

You have very immediate and great reasons to take care of yourself right now. Feel free to post here, we can all help each other.

Mine was more of a lifestyle change. I get up in the morning and eat breakfast. I have at least 3 meals a day and do my best to keep my carbs and calories low. My main concern, however, is the carbs. Plus I've become much more active with the children moving in. I used to sit on my butt all day, every day. But now I'm up chasing them and doing chores. It has helped immensely. So, my best advice is to not starve yourself or put yourself on any rigid diets. Just watch what you eat and be more active than normal. It's not as stressful and can eventually become more of a permanent life change. Good luck! :)

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
This is a thread I need to be in for sure! I'd like to say instead of being a fatty, I'm voluptuous or my curve-a-lious.. however, my doctor is insisting that the type diabetes did not get there due to rock star body condition. I argued with her for a while but as it turns out... I do have to lose some weight. She won. I hope I lose. :p

I'm starting to go for longer walks and stop the pepsi addiction. I've only lost 6 pounds so far but I'm going to keep on fighting off the potato chips that keep trying to get in mouth. Wish me luck.

LucidKitty

PF Regular
Feb 25, 2012
A real good trick is take your weight and multiply times 10. That's the amount of calories you need to consume in one day for weight loss. Of course you will usually only drop 1-2 lbs a week, but it will be greater with added exercise. Doing things like drinking green tea, and lots of water also will ramp metabolism.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Since I've fallen off the face of the planet for a while (damn you work!!!) just thought I'd give y'all an update on me :) so far as of last night I've lost 65 pounds and counting!!!! I started at 248 now I'm 183. I still have a good 30+ to go but it's better then the 90+ I had :) yay!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Amazing, XOX. Congratulations!

I just started eating better since Mardi Gras. I'm down a couple of pounds and I feel proud of myself. I can't imagine the sort of dedication you've had to demonstrate!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Wow Michele, I'm impressed. And how brave of you to share your numbers.

I'm down 14 pounds from the beginning of the year and about 20 from my all-time high.

Great job, it's fantastic that you've done so well and keep progressing - you should be proud.

Don't be such a stranger, okay?