Letting your kids be on Iphones/Ipads...

Should kids be allowed to be on Ipads/Iphones...

• Would you let them...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wouldn't let them...

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don't really care...

• I let my kid do it all the time and they're fine...

• You're crazy, Calm down newb...

• Total voters

learningfather

Aug 21, 2015
First off, hello I'm a new member, and I've been looking over most posts but I wanted to see just how many people agree that sometimes giving your child a tablet/Iphone isn't the best thing. Because I feel like sometimes people would just rather give the tablet and get the kid to be quiet. Personally I get mad when I see this because I feel that while yes, it can be annoying to have a child throw a tantrum, if you invest a little time, or even carry a pocket sized educational game( uno, board game) something that isn't tech and will help stimulate their mind. This comes from seeing how sometimes kids just start looking things up that they shouldn't, like videos on youtube about games like GTA where it literally is all violence and that's what most parents are feeding their children when they don't monitor what they do and don't invest the time required to teach them the proper things. Like I've said before this all comes because I know a 4 year old boy who, can barely speak, you can understand every 5th word he says, but the kid does know his way around tablets,phones and even PS4/Xbox 1.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I agree that it's getting out of hand. I also feel parents who do this just throw their hands up and give the ol' but-that's-just-the-times-get-with-it mentality. And when you get them to think back to how our parents managed our boredom they give the uh-kids-aren't-going-to-be-into-that-these-days excuse.
I never owned a cell or tablet and neither has my daughter. She's older now.
I used to use strategy to prevent tantrums. Toy aisles were avoided. I think it was years before she found out that Walmart has a toy aisle. That or she just knew to never ask. I've been very open to her about money and budgeting. If she did ask for something I would always tell her to wait for Christmas or her birthday.
When we went anywhere with an activity set I would give her ample warning time and continuous reminders when we would leave. I would make sure we had beverages and snacks or pick something up along the way. If she wanted to bring a small quiet toy that was fine.
It's all about treating them like humans and being prepared.
Because we weren't engrossed in some electronic, we would talk to one another, play a travelling game, show each other the sights and get her to really know the city. That's important. That's something my mom engrained in me and her mom engrained to her. Exploring the city is crucial as you need to know how to get around, the names of the streets. How many kid these days know about the place they live?

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
To be honest, I'd rather have my kids play some action/adventure violence on Xbox, than all those crappy and grabby time-wasters on Ipad.
Now for the phone is a different story. We've given our oldest an spare android a while ago. But the novelty wore off very quickly, as soon as he got bored of Angry Birds. Now he probably doesn't know where that phone is. Obviously he's not mature enough to actually need one.