Life after Depo Provera :P...

KMA

Mar 6, 2010
My husband and I have officially entered the trying to conceive phase (hooray!).

I was on depo provera for 3 months (1 shot) and before that, I was on the pill for many years. I am officially past the window of opportunity to get another injection (only by a few days yet).

My thread is targeted to those who've been on depo provera; how was your return to fertility? Statistics read that it can take up to a year for a return to fertility. A close friend of mine had a period only three months later after being on it for 2 years. It seems to be a toss up.

I am stacking the odds in my favor I think - I've been conscious about my eating and drinking (no alcohol or caffeine in almost 3 months, and staying well hydrated instead), trying to exercise regularly, and I've made a decision to remain adventurous and happy about this time, instead of stressed or doubtful. I'm of a normal BMI, and I'm in my early twenties. Perhaps this matters, perhaps it doesn't, when talking about depo.

Thanks for your insight in advance. :c)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm not too sure but I just wanted to tell you good luck and have fun!! :)

KimMomof3

PF Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2010
New Mexico
Hi there,
Congratulations on taking the steps towards starting your new family! It will help tremendously to not stress out and let nature take its course. I think your chances to conceive are related to how regular you were before you were on birth control. I was on birth control for many years (like 10) before my husband and I started. It took 6 months and that's after I used a fertility drug to help me. But I was never regular to begin with and could go for a year without a period and would need a period induction. I also had a hard time staying regular with hormone shots and pills and had to try several kinds to find the best for me. I have a friend who was off the shot for one month and got pregnant right away. And she could set a watch to her cycles because she was so regular. Hormones are really a tricky business. So if you were fairly regular to begin with and hormone shots and pills didn't really disturb your system and you took to them without side effects, I would guess that you should be able to conceive in a reasonable amount of time. If you were more like me it may take awhile for your body to adjust. One of the most important things you can do is just enjoy the time you have in this "task" you are trying to accomplish. What a fantastic way to spend time "Oh, we have to go and try and make a baby again!" :cute:So like you say, don't stress out! I can't tell you how many times I have heard of folks who were trying and trying and doing crazy things like the lady standing on her head afterward to increase her chances. And then they finally gave up "trying" and then boom, she was pregnant.

So good luck, have fun, and BOOM, may you find yourself with little one soon!

KMA

Mar 6, 2010
Kim: thanks so much for your insight! Stress can have its toll on couples, that's for sure. :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
First off congrats on the TTC, have fun.

I don't have any specific knowledge or experience with Depo, but I will echo what Kim said, DW always used to have very irregular periods and we were married 14 years, and not using any b/c for 12 years before she got pregnant the first time, so fertility is a tricky thing. We went through 3 rounds of IUI and finaly gave up, DW lost some weight and bam we ended up preganat, so i think you're doing the right stuff in terms of stacking the deck...good luck.

lisa2000

May 11, 2010
Hi
I was on the depo injection for 6 years, my husband and I then decided we would like to try for a baby. I decided not to attend my depo injection appointment in in September 09, my periods returned in January 2010 and I fell pregnant in March. I am now 8 weeks pregnant and looking forward to our first scan. Good luck, hope it happens as quickly for you.

Elise

Banned
May 31, 2010
Oh boy, well I have been on depo and I have two kids that were born while i was on it! With the first they said well I guess you are the one in 100 but lightening struck twice. I believe they say about 3-6 months but it can always be sooner/

LuvMyLilMonster

Jun 30, 2010
Williams Lake, BC Canada
I had one depo shot forgot about my apointment for my next shot and got pregnant a month later. I've heard many diff stories on how long it took someone to get preg after being on depo. Hopefully it happens quick for you!