Links in signatures...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Just a question for the mods - has the ban on links in signatures been lifted? I have noticed that we have a number of new members who post meaningless and/or irrelevant posts all over the board, and the one thing they all have in common, is links in their signatures.

It's not a big deal, I'm just surprised that these people are allowed to continue with what is very obviously nothing more than a trick to drive more tragic to their websites...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
It's not so much the links themselves that are irritating. It's just that if you remove the link there is no more incentive to post pointless garbage all over the forum...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Don't quote me, this is more Bryans area, but I think the higher up's decided that if the links were small enough it was acceptable.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yes, we had a long discussion about updating the rules some months ago, Bssage came up with most of it, and I personally went about updating the actual rules sticky.

http://www.parentingforums.org/showthread.php?t=13613

"1. No Advertising/Spamming:
No posting or PMing to advertise products, services, blogs, other websites, affiliate or referral links. Small, appropriate advertisements are now being allowed in signatures. Moderators have the right to decide if a signature ad is not appropriate, and will notify you via PM if yours needs to be changed or removed. You can also put a url in the Home Page field of your profile. Work at home parents have the option of advertising home-based businesses and the like in the "WAHP links" section."

So essentially, yes, links are allowed in signatures and mods are allowed to decide if they should be removed for any reason. Obviously no one is required to click on these links, and if they are found to be "bad" in any way, they will be forced to remove. As for the garbage pointless posts being thrown everywhere, that is a personal judgment thing that the mods have to take into consideration as to whether or not this person is just trying to spam. If that is decided, mods have the right to take action if desired. Deleting, warning, banning, so on.

Unfortunately we don't catch it all, and there will always be those "loop holes" that people will try to take advantage of, to where they are not technically breaking any rules, but they are still being obnoxious or getting away with undesirable forum behavior. As members, your options to help prevent this from happening or get it taken care of are to report the posts along with your reasoning ie "I think they are posting nonsense just to spam us with their signature link" etc. And mods will go from there as to what to do. We will try to keep that kind of junk cleaned up if we can.

If I notice an ongoing, recurrent problem based around the signature links, then I may consider revising the rules again to exclude them. We will keep our eyes on it.

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Ah, ok. That's fine, then. Then I'll just have to get into the habit of checking who the last poster was before I click on a thread. Not a big deal.