listening therapy...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Does anyone have any knowledge about "listening therapy". It has been brought to my attention by a Autism specific therapist. I am trying to research it (without much luck) It is different, I believe than "Active Listening" .

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Well so far the way I understand it is that its a lot like Music/Hippo/Active listening/ and other therapy. There is also a therapy called "Metronome" therapy same kind of deal

This is only the opinion I have based off of what I read. So if I am wrong its ok to let me know.

Kinda like humming a tune or singing a song while you work or do a task. There would be a sound or beat in the background while you do task's this beat allows your mind to more easy process information from the left and right side of the brain. It also allows you to time responses or actions to appropriately respond to task's/activities.

It seems a lot of accepted therapies involve rhythm. And a lot of Autism therapies have roots in schizophrenic therapy.

Almost all the research I have looked at has brought me back to "Active listening" therapy. So I am really not having much luck researching this.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't know really anything about it, but it sounds like a good idea and it sounds like its definitely worth a try. :) Different things work for different kids too, so who knows this might be her thing!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
We do it sometimes, and it is generally quite popular in standard primary schools here, basically you have back ground noise while you are carrying out a task. It stops you day dreaming so much as your brain can just wander back and forth from the sound to the task, instead of getting distracted by something else that requires actual input, such as toys or classmates e.g. talking.

Aussie Barb

PF Regular
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney Australia
Perhaps see if the people suggesting the "Listening Therapy" have any evidence of how well this therapy actually works. Sometimes, sadly people push these things to parents of special needs kiddies and the therapy isn't all that useful.
Good luck, Aussie Speech Pathologist