looking for coach and retreat...

roger_123

Jun 4, 2016
PLEASE HELP! Hi my son 15, is struggling with anger, concentration, and responsibility issues. He is considered 'lazy' by his friends, teachers, classmates, he does not have ADHD and is an introvert and shy. The anger at home has steadily risen, we are struggling as parents to understand how we communicate with him specially going into 9th grade. We need help in understanding each other and keeping the family moving in the right direction. We hope that a retreat and/or coach will help us each understand ourselves and each other, create empathy, sense of responsibility and purpose. We would love to repeat the retreat as appropriate and/or have a long term relationship with a coach. Thanks

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
Roger, I'm not sure about retreats and coaches, it sounds like you need some professional help, probably with a child psychologist. Ask your pediatrician or school guidance counselor or maybe some friends who might have been in therapy with their children and get some referrals and make an appt, for an assessment and treatment.

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
Roger, I'm not sure where you got this idea or what a coach or retreat will do, you need ongoing professional help, there aren't any intense experiences that will fix this quickly. And, if done wrong, the "Coach" or retreat could make matters worse.

Call a psychologist, don't fool around with miracle cures that aren't.

roger_123

Jun 4, 2016
i respect your point, will pursue my search for the right psychologist, appreciate your help

MomLeslieM

Jun 7, 2016
Roger I am not sure about retreat type events either but a coach who has training could help as well as a counselor. You can discuss your situation with a Focus on the Family counselor at no cost to you by calling 855-382-5433 - they are great and not only can give you some immediate help and resources but also help you to find someone local to you to help. I would encourage you to reach out to them. You are a wise parent to try to learn more about your son and how to reach him and help keep the family moving in the right direction - kudos to you!

roger_123

Jun 4, 2016
really appreciate the comment and help. will call them to discuss, thanks so much again