Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get GED...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I have read the article yet, but I shall say I think it is a parents obligation to their children do whatever they can to ensure their children get GED or greater. The lack of one can really limit a person's options as they get older. Not to say there are nor some self-made men/women who defy the odds, and rise to greatness on a 8th grade education.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
Sending a parent to jail because a child didn't get her GED is messed up. Legally a child can drop out of school on his/her 16th birthday. :(

Seems a bit over-the-top to me.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
That is a bit nuts. You can not make someone do anything. Does the judge think the man is God? "Ok child ye shall take ye test and pass" *poof*
Come on.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
.:Kalli Rae:. said:
Sending a parent to jail because a child didn't get her GED is messed up. Legally a child can drop out of school on his/her 16th birthday. :(

Seems a bit over-the-top to me.
I agree with this. If a child chooses to drop out of school after the age where it's legal to do so, then his/her education should be on their own shoulders, not the shoulders of their parents.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Interesting thing to note is this is what the mother said:

<I>"They probably should have punished me if they were going to punish anybody," said Brittany's mother Shana Roach. "Because she did live with me at the time, but because he had the custody, that's why he's being punished."</I>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Then if he is held accountable then you ought to be allowed to chain your child to a chair or have them in a cell block. Otherwise how can you MAKE them learn? Chase them around with a book?

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
A court order is a court order and (while it must not break any laws) it supercedes laws already in place. The courts had contact with this child before, or this order would not have existed. Possibly the terms of the child's probation or something.

Courts have been known to order parents to attend school with their children who have a truancy issue. Parents have been put in jail for their child's truancy. This stems back to when she was 16. They've had almost 3 years to address this. My guess is they just didn't take the order seriously, so the judge showed them s/he was dead serious.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
budnkota said:
A court order is a court order and (while it must not break any laws) it supercedes laws already in place. The courts had contact with this child before, or this order would not have existed. Possibly the terms of the child's probation or something.

Courts have been known to order parents to attend school with their children who have a truancy issue. Parents have been put in jail for their child's truancy. This stems back to when she was 16. They've had almost 3 years to address this. My guess is they just didn't take the order seriously, so the judge showed them s/he was dead serious.
I agree with you