Marking/Closing old threads...

Lionheart

PF Regular
Mar 31, 2009
I know you moderators must be over telling me to not post in old threads, which is fair and i'm sorry! They have been genuine mistakes.
So here's my suggestion to make both our lives a lot simpler.

Either...
Mark threads as old so that people don't accidentally post in old threads (not so much preferred)
or
Close threads that are older than the 30 days. (preferred - The thread is still available for viewing, people can not accidentally post in old threads).

Dadu said something about old threads being moved to the recycle bin, after what time period does this happen?
I can see there are threads from 2007 still around. < Just curious.

Oh and Dadu, it wasn't a go at you or anything through the PMs, it was just a request of information and i feel slightly blown off through your last reply. I failed to note that there was a support part of the forum which i thank you for pointing out to me where i hope this can be dealt with.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Close threads that are older than the 30 days. (preferred - The thread is still available for viewing, people can not accidentally post in old threads).
this is a nice thought but also very time consuming. The mods here volunteer their time so such a task is really not something I can see either of us taking on. If the threads pop back up they are usually closed than but it's also not really to much to ask that members look at the date of the thread they are posting in

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I see both sides....I don't always look at the dates either and since this is the only place that has issues with it, it can be confusing.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I followed up with the admins regarding this. We are not permitted to remove any threads that aren't spam. Sorry, you'll have to just pay a bit of attention to the last post on the thread.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
fallon said:
it's really not usually that big of a deal

I agree, I remember when I got my infraction, I was so peeved cause I didn't feel it was fair, but at the end of the day it really didn't matter. Now every time I see the infraction on my name I get annoyed for about 2 seconds and then move on, I just hate seeing it there :( .

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
mom2many said:
I agree, I remember when I got my infraction, I was so peeved cause I didn't feel it was fair, but at the end of the day it really didn't matter. Now every time I see the infraction on my name I get annoyed for about 2 seconds and then move on, I just hate seeing it there :( .
I didn't know you had one???

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
It makes sense though. threads that are over 30 days old area usually dead......thats why they are 30 days old LOL. usually the topic dies, the issue is resolved, or even so the person who started the thread may not even be around on here anymore.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Simple solution: If you find yourself inthrawled in a old thread, create a new one. Put your two cents in, and odds are people would have forgotten about the old thread, so it may start a new conversation.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
meow_173 said:
Simple solution: If you find yourself inthrawled in a old thread, create a new one. Put your two cents in, and odds are people would have forgotten about the old thread, so it may start a new conversation.
Exactly.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, the mods don't get payed to do what they're doing. They're just nice enough to spend their time here. :)

I guess it would be nice if the posts closed automatically after no one has replied in 30 days, but if that feature isn't available to us (not the most high tech forum in the world, but homey and loveable), then it's really no big deal.

Honestly, there is a date on every single post in every thread. If you just make the most minimal effort to glance at it before posting, you'll be fine. It's not a huge deal or anything, but frankly I'm a little annoyed that the whole front page is littered with dead threads.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
meow_173 said:
thank you :)