Marriage...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
So today Jack phoned us, which never happens unless he is on the want, he told us he is engaged to be married, well in a civil partnership, not exactly a surprise we've been expecting it for a while. But of course, with Jack there has to be bad news there always is :rolleyes: they aren't waiting a while like a year oh no, they are going to get married at the start of April and then go to Barcelona for a week and then Prague and what does it coincide with oh yes, study leave from university just before his years final exams, very sensible Jack!

Pleased and extremely annoyed at the same time! He should just be happy that he is too far away for mum to give him a good seeing to!

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Well, congratulations! That's awesome!

At the same time, it would have been good if they had waited but, what can ya do...kids will be kids.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
congratulations!
when do you expect to be a granpa? how does your wife feel about all this?

a quick thought, don't answer if ya don't want. who pays for his schooling? if its you and dw ,ya'll can always tell him you wont continue to pay for it if he doesn't take care of school first and his love life/social life at a better time....

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
In the UK the government pays for university, they pay your entire fee's and then give you a loan and grant to live on, so sadly we cannot make them do it at a different time by taking away money, it would work brilliantly it we could! Aha my wife she doesn't know they are doing it in April, I'm certainly not telling her, Jack can do that when he grows a pair!

No grandchildren for a very long time thankfully hopefully it will be a long time before Melia gets up the duff!

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
Aha my wife she doesn't know they are doing it in April, I'm certainly not telling her, Jack can do that when he grows a pair!

No grandchildren for a very long time thankfully hopefully it will be a long time before Melia gets up the duff!
:jiggy: thats some funny stuff right there.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Congratulations!! I hope its a wonderful wedding and they truly enjoy themselves and its a lifelong type of happiness. :)

Jeremy+3 said:
Do you think Jackson and his hubby will adopt or anything? Or do you think they're the type to not want kids?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Xero said:
Congratulations!! I hope its a wonderful wedding and they truly enjoy themselves and its a lifelong type of happiness. :)

Do you think Jackson and his hubby will adopt or anything? Or do you think they're the type to not want kids?
Trust them two with kids hahahahahaha they're both completely useless so unless they have brain transplants or wake up one day as different people, hopefully not!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
In the UK the government pays for university, they pay your entire fee's and then give you a loan and grant to live on, so sadly we cannot make them do it at a different time by taking away money, it would work brilliantly it we could! Aha my wife she doesn't know they are doing it in April, I'm certainly not telling her, Jack can do that when he grows a pair!

First - Congrats!

Second - if you don't mind me asking how much do you guys pay in taxes? By the time you get universal healthcare, university etc paid, I wonder how much tax burden you have. Maybe it's not much worse than our, maybe ours is just squnadered more.

and Third - I'm usually pretty up on my british slang, but "gets up the duff"0 stumped me, so, for my fellow americans who were too polite or scared to ask it means "gets pregnant."

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
The majority of British people are within the lower tax band of 20%, also if you pay into a private pension or if you own your own business your National insurance contribution is smaller. National insurance is the area of tax used solely on,( those over 65 and students do not pay any national insurance either).
NHS
State pension
Disability benefit
Bereavement benefit
NHS funded courses at university
Medical treatment within the EU for your holiday and upto two years after leaving the UK permanently

The basic rate of 20% is for those who earn £0-£37,400 a year (£32,000 is the average wage).
The higher rate is 40% but only your earnings above £37,400 are taxed at 40%, so say someone earned £40,000 a year only £600 of their earnings would be taxed at 40%.
They might seem like low brackets to you compared to the percentage, but you have to consider the exchange rate, for example £37,400 is $61,000 US.
We have family tax credits as well where almost all people with children can claim back a proportion of their taxes every year.

I'm in the 40% bracket, but because I'm the sole worker in our family and I pay into a teachers pension my tax actually turns out at about 36% and then we can claim back quite a bit of that each year because we have four under 16's in the house.

To confuse you further!
If you are Welsh and live in Wales university costs £1000 a year, which the government pays and you can either pay it back or not.
If you are English if you attend uni anywhere in the UK it costs around £3,400 a year, which again the government pays and you don't have to pay it back.
If you are Scottish and go to university in Scotland university costs £0 so there is nothing to pay back even if you want to.
If you are training to be part of the NHS then you receive bursar's that you do not have to pay back, but if you leave uni and choose not to work for the NHS you would have to pay it back then.

Here everyone receives loans and grants from the government to attend uni, you get one which covers all of your tuition fees. Then another to live on a maintenance loan, Jack gets just over £4000 a year £1000 which is a grant that he doesn't have to pay back, he does have to pay back the other £3000 but it is at tiny rates, like literally £5 a month if you are earning £15,000 a year. They are income assessed but even then you still get a full tuition fee loan and the maintenance loan only differs within about £700. You get your maintenance loan in three installments, one at the beginning of each term (semester) so you don't just blow it in one go.

All courses cost the same amount of money and in each country within the UK all universities cost the same amount to attend, so whether you go to the best or the worst the price doesn't change.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
thanks for the tzx and educaiton view, it's really hard to make comparisons. We have essentially 2 tax rates 15% and 28%, but the first dollar is never taxed and there are hosts of deductions and credits, but then add to the taxes Social Security and then state incomes taxes and local sales taxes (and I know you have VAT on some stuff) it all get's very confusing what exact rate anyone is paying. I think governments like it that way, you never really know so you don't push the issue too hard thinking it could always be worse.

So, are all universities state run? Our vary a lot, both from state intitutions and private, but the private schools can charge whatever the market will bear.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Virtually all universities are state funded, they are not state run, the government have no say what so ever in what a university teaches, how they teach it or when they teach it.
Cambridge is the 2nd best university in the world, University college London the 4th, Imperial college of London 5th and Oxford 6th. So personally, I don't see why a university somewhere else in the world can charge £20,000 a year when these lot charge £3,400 a year and are in the top 10.
There are very few private universities here, why bother when you can get a better education at a more respected university for a smaller price? None of the UK's private universities are even in the top 100 uni's in the world.

I don't what applying to uni is like over there, but here you write a personal statement within 250 words, your teachers write references (which you never see) and give your predicted grades, then this form is sent to your top five university choices. The universities you apply to do not know where else you have applied, so they don't know if they are your first or fifth choice.
Then you are sent offers from the uni's, you can pick two, your first choice, which you will then attend if you get the grades required, then an insurance, normally with lower entry grades just incase you don't do as well as expected in your exams. Normally though, if you miss a grade within a few marks and a university has already said, yes we want you, you will most likely still be accepted, Jack one was two marks from getting an A in biology and for his course he needed, AAA, when he actually got AAB, but he was still accepted. It does cost £15 though for the form, which is a bit of a bummer.
You do have to sit an entrance exam for Oxbridge though, there is no fee for this obviously.
We don't have scholarships either, no one has to raise a large amount of cash or take out loans with high interest rates, so they aren't needed really.

In recent years British Universities have become really popular as it is cheaper to study here at a good university, it costs international students £10,000 a year as clearly the British government aren't going to fund them.

What I should say though, is at our university 18-21, is a higher level or education compared to American college.
What American's study at college, we study from the ages of 16-18 at a college/sixth form, which is free and voluntary, as here everyone leaves school at 15/16.
What we study at university is the same as graduate study in America, so medical school, law school etc.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, I was aware of the whole difference in what university was. I think the allure of the higher priced universities here is that it gets you connected for the work world (ie better paying jobs)

Application for college here starts with one or two (or sometimes both) Standardized Exams, which have essay components in them now too. Then you pay to have your scores sent to the institutions to which you are applying. Some state run institutions will admit based on that. Most have their own application (most with it's own fee) some with essay and reference requirements others not. Some kids run up $1000's in college admissions costs applying to many schools, which I personally think is a little ridciulous for undergrad study.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
My wife found out last night, she sent us all out of the room when she was on the phone, so obviously we had to stand outside the lounge door to listen in, basically it amounted to men being completely incompetent and failing at life :( she was using her phone voice though which was quite funny, she goes all posh and toffee nosed.