Movies for the holidays?...

Jschneier

PF Regular
Aug 8, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Ok, even though I don't celebrate Christmas I am a sucker for sappy movies during the holidays. Recently I watched the movie "Four Christmases"...it was one of those moments where I got a good deal and thought why not?

Anyway, here is my review in case you are looking for a decent holiday (adult) movie:

It used to be that during the holiday season a decent Christmas movie would come out (think Home Alone) but it seems like for a long time we have been inflicted with terrible movie after terrible movie...especially the Santa Clause movies with Tim Allen which were, in my opinion, just dreadful. Four Christmases is no Wonderful Life but it is so much better than what has been out that I found it actually refreshing.

I think part of the reason I enjoyed it is that Vince Vaughn is so good at making you want to see bad things happen to him. You like him but you don't mind when the worst case scenario happens to him again and again. And Reese Witherspoon always seems to put a smile on my face (even though I feel like it is a guilty pleasure.)

The movie doesn't try to convey some deep message, it is as most holiday movies are, about family and good tides and doing the right thing. But if you are looking for something light but not as depressing as the Tim Allen movies then I would definitely recommend it.

The Blu-ray version comes with some extra features like extra scenes, a fake cooking show and things like that.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed watching this especially on an evening when I just wanted to tune out for an hour.

Do you guys have any recommended movies for the holidays?

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
My most recent favorite is Elf. A Christmas Story is always a go-to.

Jeremy+3 said:
We don't have time to spend watching films, I saw one with Arnie in once about a superhero toy.
No offense, but why would you come to a thread about holiday movies just to say you don't have the time to watch movies? :huh:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Gotta love "it's a wonderful life," if for no other reason to affirm the believe that somebody as awkard as Jimmy Stewart could get a girl as hot as Donna Reed. The only problem with the movie - not enough Donna Reed.

"Holiday Inn" is another quintessential classic. (which has Danny Reed, which is not at all the same) If you want Bing and "White Christmas" skp "White Christmas and go to the original.

And what about "miracle on 34th Street?" Gotta love it.

Now, for the one I don't love - That dreadful Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim, that TV stations play over and over - it's slow and plodding, the only thing I can think of why it became a classic is because it was perhaps the first time the story was set to film, somebody saw it, and it became tradition. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me as to why. otherwise, it's such a Christmas stalwart.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ElliottCarasDad said:
No offense, but why would you come to a thread about holiday movies just to say you don't have the time to watch movies? :huh:
because he spotted a pot and felt it must be stirred...

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Dadu2004 said:
I'm a big fan of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story.

Oh my friggin goodness yes!

My husband and I have watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, i swear, like 6 times already! hahaha

Me and my family and big fans of the Jim Carrey version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas, hes awesome in that!!!!

Happy Holidays!!