my 18 yr. old moved out last night...

4chevyfans

Jun 22, 2007
Florida
Hello all,
Today is not a good day for me. My son moved out last night. He doesn't like our house rules and we have told him that if he continued to not follow the house rules, he would have to find another place to live... well, he left last night. I am not sure how to feel. I know that this is what we told him and we need to stand behind what we say but I am very sad and worried about what he will do with his life from this point. I assume that he will be riding his bike to work because we wouldn't let him take his truck until he gets the insurance in his own name and then we will sign the title over to him. He wasn't happy about that but he expected it. I think what bothered him more than leaving his truck and giving us the keys was when we told him to give us the house key.
Our house rules are simple. We have a working house hold and a 15yr old that needs to get up in the morning also for school. We want no one in or out past 11:00 sunday - thursday. No stipulations on time on the weekends. Basically we want him home by 11 during the week. And take care of your house hold chores as soon as he gets home from work before he goes anywhere. I think it is fair.
The kicker is...the boys house that he moved to expressed to us last night that he doesn't think that our son will be able to stay out as late as he did here because his mom already said so. So if that is the whole issue, why would he move? He is going to have the same rules there!
Well, i have got to go to work.
thanks for listening.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
((HUGS)) I'm sorry, this must be hard but I agree that you need to stick to your guns on this one

MidwestMom

PF Regular
Aug 21, 2008
Midwest
Kim,

LOL at them not wanting him out past the times you all set. He'll be running home as soon as he gets in trouble. You remember Curt doing this to us, right??? What was it, not even two weeks and he was back home.

Give him some time. I'm sure that he will come to his senses.

I'm here if you need me. Pm me anytime, i always have my email open.

Momof12

PF Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
CA
Kim I am sure its hard I remember when our Oldest left which is my Son and he was 18 as well.:( It was very hard and he was the same way he did not want to follow the rules of our home. I remember when I saw my 6ft plu 275 son again I was at my DD volley ball game and I saw this very thin Tall Young Man walking toward me I was like do I know this man??? It was my Son he said Hello Mom it had been like 5 to 6 months and I said what happen he said this is what happens when you dont realize how good you have it at home. He lost his job had to count on his friends to eat had to much pride to call me. I cried I said listen I would never say I told you so but God did you have to stave your self!! You know sometimes our kids have to fall to learn. As hard as it is for us it happens the thing is we just pray they keep all we taught them inside there some where.</SIZE>[/FONT]
Kim I keep you guys in my prayers</SIZE>[/FONT]
(((((Kim)))))</SIZE>[/FONT]
</SIZE>[/FONT]
Gina</SIZE>[/FONT]
sorry any typos its 2:35 am cant sleep</SIZE>[/FONT]

garand786

Jan 1, 2009
I don't think you went overboard on your rules. I think he had the thought of "oh wow, I could move out of my parent's house!" burned into his brain, and he acted upon it without thinking of what will indeed happen.

He'll come back.