My 6 year old son keeps refusing to wear pajamas at night. What should I do?...

Carolyn1967

Jan 9, 2014
I am a mother of two sons, one who is 23 and away in the Coast Guard, and a 6 year old who my husband and I adopted a few years ago when he was a baby. Lately, though, our 6 year old refuses to wear his pajamas in bed. He only wants to sleep in his boxer briefs or boxers with no shirt on. When I tell him he might get cold, he says no, that's how his big brother sleeps and so that's how he wants to sleep. He idolizes his older brother. He also says "guys are supposed to sleep in their boxers". We live in Phoenix, but it still can get cold sometimes. Maybe I am overreacting here. What should I do? He refuses to sleep any other way now.

AmynKayla

PF Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2012
Canada
I dont know... I think in this case I would really question whether it is worth arguing about. If that's how he's comfortable and how he wants to sleep, I'd be inclined to let him. My nephew was like that too as a youngster and probably still is. Amy

Carolyn1967

Jan 9, 2014
Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's a losing battle here. He refuses to wear a shirt and pajama pants in bed now. I may just probably have to deal with it and just give him an extra blanket as one of you suggested already.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's so funny. Kids can certainly have their quirks. I would let him, he is old enough to know when he is cold or comfortable or not. I would just make sure he has plenty of blankets to snuggle up under and I would leave his pajamas on his night stand or by his bed wherever he can easily find them if he wakes up cold in the night he can just put them on. Half the time my 6 year old son goes to bed fully in pajamas and then comes out in the morning in his underwear or missing his shirt or what have you. I think they have pretty good idea of temperature control at this age. I hear ya though, I couldn't imagine only sleeping in underwear, I get cold too easily. My DH sleeps every night in his boxers though, so maybe it's a man thing. :p My 2.5 year old hates clothes in general, the only time I can keep them on him is while he is sleeping. The rest of the day, I am constantly fighting him to keep any article of clothing on. I look away for a SECOND and he is butt naked. I put his clothes back on, wash some dishes, come back he's naked again lol. If we have to go somewhere and I try to come after him with some pants he runs away yelling "NO THANKS NO THANKS!!". :)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Haha, Sasha does that too, he gets up in the morning, he's not fully awake yet, so walks into the lounge rubbing his eyes and someone has to say "Uhh... you might want to go and find where you left your pants".

Carolyn1967

Jan 9, 2014
Palomita said:
Why not get his older brother to talk to him and convince him to wear pajamas?

Sorry for bad english.
I could. But considering his older brother does not wear pajamas, it might be difficult. I may just have to let him sleep in his boxers. He won't listen to me on this issue. It can be aggravating, but I probably am worrying too much about this. I'll just have to leave an extra blanket in his room.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
my 7 yo pretty much refuses to wear a shirt and he's pretty much a heat monster at night. (and it was about -12 here last night, luckily it's always 70 something in our house so I don't think the season makes much difference.

my son has a bunch of different blankets on his bed, if he gets cold he wraps up in one. I guess I'm not seeing a real need for insisting he wear a shirt.

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
you should feel lucky he does not choose to sleep nude. while nude sleeping is popular, I am sure in your family setting it would not go over very well. actually there is nothing wrong with sleeping in his shorts. I think probably 1/2 of all men do, and certainly most teenage boys. no sense making a problem out of something that is not a problem.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
I don't see a problem with a 6 year old wanting to sleep wearing just his shorts. If he looks up to his big brother, that's great. If he wants to imitate him, why not?

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
so let him wear boxers already. no problem. about half of everybody sleeps nude. I recently thought that pj's were obsolete because I haven't seen them for many years. i just discovered that some people still wear them. but no matter how he wants to sleep, whats the difference? let him do it. as long as he don't wake up and walk around waving the flag.

ZachsDad

Apr 27, 2015
United States
If he's comfortable then I don't see the problem, if the cold bothers him then I'm sure he will tell you. Although you could find pajamas with his favorite TV/Movie character on them and that might convince him to wear them.

sheriberry

Nov 26, 2015
I agree with everyone else. I would just let him sleep that way and tell him he knows where his pajamas are if he gets cold. It may be just a phase or he may find it more comfortable.

ctupa

Jun 8, 2016
Texas
I agree with the others, no harm in sleeping without a shirt. Who knows, he may grow out of it anyway.

My 6 yr old son likes to sleep in his shorts and polo shirt. I don't know why he likes but he enjoys it so I let him.