My 9 yr. old is growing up!!!...

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Ok so my 9 yr. old has been completely fascinated with getting a bra for like the past year. She also wants to shave her legs. She always says how hairy her legs are compared to other girls her age, which she has dark hair on her legs and she is quite hairy. She is a skinny girl not really looking developed in the bra area yet. So my question is for all the other mommies and ladies... What age did you start wearing a bra and shaving your legs? For some reason, I can't remember when I started wearing a bra but I was at least 12 or 13 when I started shaving, I think. This is my oldest so new territory to talk and do with her, please help.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I had to start wearing a bra in the 4th grade. So yeah, I guess about 9.

oh gawd... my oldest is 8. I hadn't been thinking about this yet. I'm not ready. :(

I don't think I started shaving my legs till I was 12-13, but I was on chemo until then and didn't have hair. :eek:
Now I hate shaving and wish I had never done it.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My period started when I was 11 and breast development started about a year before, so I must have been about 10 when I started wearing a bra. Not that I had much to put in one, but I was very self conscious about people being able to see through my shirt. LOL! I laugh now, but my DD (10) just hit this stage herself. She has not started to develop in any way, shape or form, but has become very self conscious about any shirts that are a little loose or slightly sheer. She asked to wear a bra, and although she definitely doesn't need one, I see no harm in letting her wear little cami tops under her clothes. I bought her some and she's tickled pink and now feels more "secure". LOL!

As far as shaving legs, I didn't start that until I got arm pit hair, and I can't remember how old I was exactly. I'm guessing 6th or 7th grade. ?? DD isn't there yet. I suspect she'll be a late bloomer because she's small for her age.

Sirk, if you don't mind my asking, why did you need chemo?

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Trina said:
Sirk, if you don't mind my asking, why did you need chemo?
I had cancer as a child.

And no pit hair till I was 17. Another thing I wish I hadn't started shaving. :p

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sirk said:
I had cancer as a child.

And no pit hair till I was 17. Another thing I wish I hadn't started shaving. :p
Obviously you kicked cancer butt or you wouldn't be here to talk about it.
:)

You probably would have needed to shave regardless. Most of us do. ;)

TAR

PF Fanatic
May 30, 2007
NM
I started wearing a bra in like 4th grade so I think I was about 9. I started shaving my legs right before 6th grade started I also had (have) dark hair and that was a good time to start, I wanted to in 5th but mom said to wait till the summer before middle school. My cousin ended up shaving her legs when she was in 5th grade she didn't ask she wanted to and just got her mom's shaver and did it, my aunt was upset because she didn't get to go buy her a nice shaver and cream and show her how an all that kinda girly stuff (she is her only daughter) so if your daughter is really wanting to you may want to talk to her about it. Good luck!!

April05

Aug 2, 2008
Ohio
OMG, I know how you feel my oldest is 9 and I am just not ready! To answer your questions I started wearing a bra at age 11 (but I really didn't need one). Shaving my legs I think I was 13. By reading other responses I must have been a late bloomer!

etceterae

PF Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2008
I developed unusually early - my first bra was in the third grade, or when I was eight. o.o

I don't shave; I wax. But I do remember the first time I stole my dad's razor to experiment, I was ten, so your daughter isn't too much out of range for wanting to shave. My friends began shaving when they were ten or eleven, too. I prefer waxing and tweezing, though - it lasts tons longer.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I started wearing a bra (and got breasts) in sixth grade I think, so I guess I was twelve-ish. I shaved my legs shortly after.

I don't see anything wrong with getting her those little girl bras though, the ones that just look like cute little sports bras with no actual cups (just like a short cami or whatever) and letting her wear those. Nothing wrong with that if it makes her more comfortable, or if she likes it. It will have her more ready for regular bras when the time comes. I remember my little sister hating the feeling of a bra when it came time that she needed one.

As for shaving, it's up to you, but she might feel better about herself if she could shave the hair off of her legs especially if it's dark. It seems like it's not important, but maybe to her it is. You know what you could do that's safer and works nicer, just get some of that Nair stuff, or whatever other brand of hair removal lotion and use that on her. I bet she'd love it. My mom used that on me in the beginning.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I started wearing a bra at 8 because, well, I needed a bra at 8. Running around without one was causing some damage to my pectoral muscles.

I dont think theres really a set age on these things, because everyone develops at different rates. i didnt start shaving my legs until I was 15 because there was just no hair on them.

If the hair on her legs is dark and thick then it probably is time to start shaving. Kids can be cruel and hairy-legged girls end up the butt of many jokes.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Yes I have been worried whether she would be teased. I would much rather her start doing these things than feel embarrassed and get teased about it. Cheerleading just started last week and her friend who is 12 is into wearing bra's and such. I think that has alot to do with her. I did end up getting her some of the little girl sports bra's but am not sure about the leg shaving yet. Thanks everyone!!