My baby is potty training herself...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Just turned two, 2 weeks ago and she has decided to potty train herself. 2 days ago she just said she had to go potty, so I took her and she tells me "no mommy stay" and points to the door!! I was like umm..... she then says "shut da door". So I walk in the bathroom and shut the door, she then again points to the door and says " no mommy stay" I was like you have got to be kidding me. So I humor her, shut the door and as soon as it closed.... she peed!!!!

She then did that again about 2 hours later. Then on Monday, I changed her first two diapers. (1 pee 1 poo) she then asked to go potty and the birthday party we were at. I took her in there and she told me to shut the door again. So I leave, and again she pees!!! She then continued to just take herself to the bathroom the rest of the day. Well that evening she was standing on a chair in the kitchen helping me cook dinner. She pooped. She melted. Crying aligator tears "no Nichole go potty" and jsut cried for like 5 minutes!! I kept telling her it was ok and that we can clean it and next time she would go on the potty, well sure enough she did!!

All day yesterday she had one pee diaper and that was when we were at Walmart. So today I bought her 3 pairs of Curious George panties and 3 pairs of training pants, and she has had a total of one accident today. She ran to the bathroom and peed while pulling down her pants! So she tried!

I am so proud of her and if you read this all the way through you all deserve medals!! lol

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
My one daughter was exactly the same way and trained herself around eighteen months. No kidding. I was already pregnant with her sister and I was delighted that I would not have both in diapers...or so I thought. Incredibly, when her baby sister was born when she was 23 months she decided she did not like having to compete for the attention and promptly went right back into diapers. I never wold have believe it could happen except that it did. It was quite disappointing, but apparently quite common. I know how incredible it feels when they master the potty, so kudos to her and to you. It sounds as though you're handling it like a pro.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Yay, today hasn't been so good yet. lol She pooped in her undies. So I cleaned her up and told her that we only poop in the potty or our diaper. She wsa very mad at me for putting a diaper back on her. But maybe next time she will either poop in the potty or a diaper. Undies are not fun to clean out! lol

Oh well accidents happen and I didn't think it would be over night.

EHB_ yes that is very common when they are so young to train that they revert back and some point. How old was she when she returned to the potty?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
good for her...that's great. They all have little slip ups and it is amazing that she wants to do it on her own

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I'm so proud of her but at the same time its kinda frustrating. She doesn't want to wear the diapers and only wants her big girl panties,. but then she pees in them. So I don't want to put her i teh diapers to make her feel bad for having accidents but at the same time.... ya know!!!!????? lol

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
with debralyn, when she was ready we put her in panties so I know how you feel...I had her sit on a towel on the furniture "just in case". for some reason it's way worse to clean out panties then a diaper...lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
no, actually we switched her to bottle water for all drinking and cooking and its gone!!

She went to the doc yesterday for her 2 year check up too. It went so well, the doc was fine with me not vaccinating anymore right now. In 3 months we will take her to test her blood titers to determine imunity to the vaccines she has had. Hopefully she wil not need any more doses of ones she has had already. We will do the MMR in about 6 months. No chicken pox till like 8, and no flu ever. THe doc was fine with all of it!

She weighed a whopping 22pounds 0.2 oz. Not even an ounce over 22. Of course she had a diaper on but....

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
What a big girl. Accidents are gonna happen for a bit but it's so great she made the decision on her own. Josephine woke up one day without peeing in her diaper overnight and decided she was potty trained just like that. It's so funny that how they click over.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it is funny. I keep telling my sister, potty training is easy! lol I say it in gest though, she had hell with both her kids

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
You were sooo young! I couldn't imagine. Nichole was wearing 9-12 month clothes then. lol I couldn't imagine!!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay!! She had diarrhea this morning in her panites, so I put her back in a cloth diaper for a few hours. Well no accidents so I put the panites back on after she peed on the potty. Well she just went poop on the potty again. More diarrhea. Not alot, but thats so good that she got to the potty this time to go!!

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Poor baby but so good that she made it in the potty!!

Here's the deal with me. When I was born my aunt Nikki was four years old. Nikki has Downs Syndrome and we spent a lot of time with my grandparents and my aunt. They were teaching her the letters of the alphabet with flash cards when I was tiny tiny so at 14 months I took my dad around the hospital where he worked spelling out all of the signs to him. They realized I was a little being with a brain that was like a sponge so while I was sitting there and they were working with Nikki I was taking it all in. I was around when they were potty training Nikki and figured it out and decided I was potty trained. I was also cloth diapered and my mom said I was the easiest potty trainer and the only difference was I was the only one she used cloth on.
Nikki is really amazing though. She graduated high school the same year I did which was a huge accomplishment. They recently told us though that she is showing signs of Alzheimers. I guess people with Downs Syndrome can get Alzheimers at a younger age than average.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Congrats to her!! Thats wonderful that she is doing so well!!

yes I agree kids will soak up what they are around. We had Nihcole doing her ABC's very young, and now she can count to 29. She hasn't learned 30 yet! lol

You were just a little independent one though!

PreSchool Mama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008
Kaytee said:
Oh well accidents happen and I didn't think it would be over night.
No it won't! LOL. There will be accidents, but it's so great that she's taken the initiative. I know women who put their children on the potty, and wait for eternity for something to pop out!

Just go with her cues, and she'll be perfectly trained in time for preschool!:)