My Child Hates Milk...

SusanR68

Apr 26, 2009
Although I only joined yesterday, I have a problem that I hope many of you can help me with.....My 11 year old HATES milk, and I'm worried about all the nutrition he might be missing by refusing to drink it. The funny thing is that he used to like milk when he was younger, until one of his friends told him it was cow's urine (no joke!). While he knows that's not the case anymore, he's grown to hate it. How can I get my son to once again enjoy milk, or is it even worth trying?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'd consider helping him get his dairy nutrition elsewhere, like cheeses and maybe yogurt. What about chocolate milk or hot cocoa made with milk. Would he go for Strawberyy Milk (like "Quik")?

I know i grew up on Skim milk, and anytime anybody tried to give me 2% or whole milk, I'd gag on it. I really hated the "thick" texture in my throat. The only way I could cope with that was to drink it super cold.... so, if you haven't tried skim, that might work for him (if you can get him to try)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as you can him to eat plenty of other diary products and he spends at least 10 minutes a day in the sun.

SusanR68

Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely think I may have started making milk too much of an issue, because he does eat other dairy products. And I'll also try giving him some chocolate milk!

Thanks again!

abbey.barclay

Banned
Jul 9, 2009
There is no problem if child hates milk give him cheese,some mmilk shake.You can try corn flakes also if he likes.To put on weight you can give him banana milk shake.Do not force him for anything.My daughter is also same but now she eats everything including milk also.She is 2 and a half year old.

ellen21

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2009
hey many options are available like buy milk and chocolate syrup , select strawberry milk , try buying goats milk , lactose free . silk milk or two percent milk this will give your kid a variety of tastes and hopefully one of them will be the one that they enjoy:biggrin: