My house is falling down......

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
...not really, sort of... maybe.

This morning when I came back from work (around 8am) I went to close our front door behind me and the top hinge fell off... with a piece of the door frame attached. I was standing there holding up a door yelling for someone to come and help, but I am a weakling so I dropped the door and the bottom half of the door frame snapped off too.

Looking at it, it looks like the wood has rotted through, which isn't a huge surprise given the climate of the area we live in (it is a hybrid rainforest-bushland area) so lots of humidity and dampness and our house is nearing 50 years old, weatherboard and has never been renovated, but now we are worried that if our doorframe is rotting through, what else is about to break off?

Sash is walking around the house on tippy-toes "in case the floor breaks" (I don't know why he thinks tippy-toes will help that, but oh well).

Fortunately our house isn't wide open for the general public, we have a sunroom area at the front of our house with a screen door that locks, it's just a matter of not being able to retain any warmth in the front of the house at the moment.

This had to happen on a weekend when no tradies are answering their phones, didn't it?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow, what a pain! :/ Hope you get it patched up soon. I was vacuuming and broke a little piece off of the front door frame the other day. haha

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Well, good news is that our house has absolutely no insulation, so we don't need to rip apart the walls (probably the only benefit to living in a house with no insulation) but we have some old wooden stumps that are completely rotted through, and the water is seeping up, hence the door frame rotting.

So we have to have the house re-stumped, and a few of the lower wood panels replaced. Not as bad as it could have possibly been, but still a pain none the less.

BorisB

Jan 9, 2021
Oh, crap. That sounds not good. I had a big crack on the floor in my previous house and I just hid it, lol

Billok

Feb 23, 2021
Oh, if you have enough money for that, you can hire professionals that could help you to repair your house. If you want to invite some friends to your house, I can recommend you to check some large rugs on DorisLeslieBlau that will help you to hide the cracks on your floor. I should say that it is also rather fashioned now to use such solutions in interior design. I wish you to solve your problem and be careful because it seems to be really dangerous to live in such h a house.

Hizzmat

Mar 25, 2021
Strange that the post is alive. So many years
Maybe some info on the house. If only the TS was online. It's just interesting