My journey through homeschooling...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I don't worry about socialization. I mean if you think about it how much do kids really get in school? A recess and a lunch break? If you look at the overall hours they really do not get that much.

Every time we walk out our door they are being socialized. Every party, every grocery shopping trip, every trip to the river. They make friends easily, it's never a problem. In school they had friends, but not kids they associated with outside of school; we live pretty rural.

Of course like anything, things can go wrong. I think socialization becomes an issue (IMO) when homeschooling is done for secular reasons. IMO when parents who do it are more 'out in the world' I don't think it is an issue.

nwcrazy

PF Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2011
mom2many said:
...Sometimes traditional school isn't the right choice.
This is quite true.

If a school has limited resources and can't accommodate different ability levels, that can be a problem. It may be better to homeschool your kid(s).

My daughter loves kindergarten because of the the social factor. Everyday, she gets to see kids her age in the classroom, cafeteria, and playground. For an only child, it's a big deal. But as far as the academics is concerned, she tells me the school is "very easy".

Fortunately, in the Fall, she'll attend a magnet school for 1st grade that emphasizes the arts and sciences. According to the person who gave us a tour of the school, they are able to accommodate the differences in the ability levels of their students.

That made our day:)

For parents with kids that don't have access to good private or public schools, homeschooling is definitely worth considering.

Last edited:

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
mom2many said:
I think socialization becomes an issue (IMO) when homeschooling is done for secular reasons. IMO when parents who do it are more 'out in the world' I don't think it is an issue.
I am with you on that one M2M.

When Luca started school my options were the bad academics/corporal punishment using public school. The elitist attitude private school. Or the 3+ hour commute to the next island for more options. I'm still not sure if I made the right choice, but the option of distance learning has made me feel a lot better about my options. I am nervous, but I am hopeful too!