My sister makes her son go barefoot!...

jo beth

Jun 20, 2008
Hi. I'm new here. I was unaware of this until I visited her just recently. My nephew is 8 now, and his mom only lets him wear these special orthopedic sandals to school and other places where shoes are required. - although she'd rather him be barefoot... He doesn't have any foot problems or anything, but as a baby and toddler, my sister was fanatical about him not wearing shoes, over concern for his feet developing properly, and attaining correct balance and flexibility, etc. She showed me several articles by different pediatric orthopedists. The articles made a strong point, and convinced me she was doing right, but that was back when he was 2 ½ years old. I had no idea she was still continuing with it now that he's 8, though, and it also surprises me, because she wouldn't be caught out of her house without her shoes... He hates having to wear sandals to school when the other boys are all into and wearing the latest tennis shoes, etc. They fight and argue over his protests and complaining about not being able to wear his tennis shoes to school. She has several pair of these non slip grip socks that she makes him wear when she takes him with her shopping and places. It's what she made him put on in the van before going into mcdonalds, one time when I was with them. They fought then, and I could tell he was embarrassed for having to wear them. We then went to wal-mart and the mall, and he just wore those socks. She's real defensive about it, and I couldn't really do any good by talking to her about it. I feel so bad for him... Any advice?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
That seems excessive to me. I know my younger brother was supposed to go barefoot whenever possible when he was a toddler, per doctor's orders....but HE (my brother) put a stop to that at age three after stepping on a bee. It was so cute....he kept telling Mom it was her fault, and that he was NOT going outside ever again. LOL

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Definitely excessive. I'm puzzled as to how this effects P.E. class in school. Our kids are required to wear sneakers on P.E. days or they're not allowed to participate.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Trina said:
Definitely excessive. I'm puzzled as to how this effects P.E. class in school. Our kids are required to wear sneakers on P.E. days or they're not allowed to participate.
I was reading this and never thought of that. My dd's school(grades pre-k through 2nd) has rocks in their playground and are not allowed in the playground with sandals on.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think it's a bit much also. My son doesn't wear hard soled shoes and goes barefoot most of the time but he's 15 months old. I would worry about how this will effetc his schooling. If my daughter doesn' wear the right shoes she has to sit out at gym

jo beth

Jun 20, 2008
Oh it's even more humiliating for him in PE. She met with the principal and told him that he couldn't wear regular shoes. So he has play in those grip socks... She is fanatical about those dern socks. It's her own thinking that they're whats best for him, even though it embarrasses him to have to wear them so often.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
She should move here to Florida, we hardly ever wear shoes. Just to the stores. :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
She should move here to Florida, we hardly ever wear shoes. Just to the stores. :)
I'm the same way. I hate wearing shoes and go barefoot unless it's mandatory that I wear them

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I hate shoes aswell and avoid wearing them, but I can only imagine how badly that poor boy is bullied about his grip socks.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
It's a bit odd, to say the least.

That being said, I'm barefoot 99.99% of the time. I wear them only to the store, work, church and other people's houses. And half the time, I slip them off at those places, as well. I may be a Yankee, but I swear I'm hillbilly at heart! Or, at least, that's what my redneck husband tells me. :p

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My kids and I are barefoot most of the time during summer months, but we always wear proper shoes or sandals at school or out in public. Your sister must live in a warm climate. Up here in New England socks, shoes and/or boots are required for warmth and protection fall, winter and spring. I simply can't fathom doing that to my kids. It would be considered abuse to do so here.