My Sweet, Smart, Emotional 6 year old boy....

RROSARIO35

Jun 1, 2012
<r>Well my son 'Drew is in the first grade he has always been a smart kid, a leader since Pre-K when kids flocked to him and always wanted to be around him. Always a very happy and positive kid. <br/>
<br/>
He won the spelling bee when he was in Kindergarden! <br/>
&lt;URL url="<YOUTUBE id="6uDrSkQVcAY" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDrSkQVcAY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDrSkQVcAY"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDrSkQVcAY&lt;e</YOUTUBE>&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
He's awesome all the kids have always gravitated to him... and pretty much they still do. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
But my Drew… He's got the ability to lock people out in school, or shut himself out from everyone else…&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
He came home a week ago and we asked what he played out back during recess and he said "nothing I just stood in a puddle and nobody played with me"… My wife and I grew concerned. And at that point knew this must have been why his teachers wanted to meet with us, this kind of behavior… Andrew is a sweet kid, the teachers love him and they seem to notice that he gets down on himself a lot… However when I asked him about the puddle incident the next day he said they didnt stay outside long and he enjoyed looking at all the reflections... so...&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Last week I found out he didn't make it to the spelling bee this year and he got SOOOO EMOTIONAL!! He was crying and crying and crying for about 15 minutes. When I told him "Its ok we'll study and work hard to be in it during the second grade" He responded with "But what if I mess up then and the year after and the year after?" He really thinks into things VERY deeply and excessively.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
We met with his teachers today they told us he gets upset when people look at him… and sometimes they do! But sometimes a kid may turn their heads and look at the board and my son shouts "WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME, STOP LOOKING AT ME", they noticed he gets very adamant about things and doesn't relent. So that concerns us. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
The school uses a color system… red-&gt;Yellow--&gt;Green--&gt;Blue(Superstar) and he usually comes home with Greens and brings home one or two superstars a week or every two weeks, depends… he's brought home about 9 yellows this year and each time he was very upset with himself and explained how hard he tried to move back to green and I explained to him he's got to be more careful in not following protocol in school…&lt;br/&gt;
This leads me to my next thing… Sometimes at night before bed he will ask me to practice with him getting a superstar and I've been apprehensive to do this… he'll sit at the table and ask me to talk to him like I was one of his friends so he sits there with his hands folded back straight and will totally ignore me in an effort to be noticed for good behavior… I'm assuming he does this in school, and when I brought it up both of his teachers blinked, looked at each other and had an "aha" look on their face, they must have noticed that too. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
They suggested a Cognitive Behavior Therapist outside of the school because they get deeper involved. They say it could be as simple as having him think "Happy thoughts" but to get him out of the rut of over thinking things and worrying to far ahead of today. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
So to end the meeting the kids walked into the class… My Drew walked in and went to his desk, my wife &amp; I gave him thumbs up and told him to have a great day! He sat at his table and folded his hands while all the other kids were rummaging around getting ready… he seemed like he had less to do… he seemed like he just wanted to behave. I love my drew… He reminds me so much of me… After today even more so, it scares me because I can get pretty emotional… my emotions can be all over the place at times and it's something I'm learning to cope with and handle better… I firmly believe I am the way I am because of the events that have transpired in my life not because of any imbalances or any weird medications… I am me because of my experiences… My son… He's a lot like me from his experiences with me. I want Drew to be more open to people like he's capable of being, while he still has a lot of friends they kind of know when to stay away from him. A few days ago he walked into the cafeteria before classes began and his friend approached him… and my Drew responds… "Leave Me Alone" when I asked why he did that he in a very nonchalant manner says "Nothing I just didn't want to talk to him". It doesn't seem like anger but there's something there.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
We do have a younger daughter (4) and they get along very well. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I think he'll be fine but I dont want him battling the same demons I do and I'm wondering if Cognitive Behavioral Theraby will help.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Anyone with similar experiences, I'd be glad to listen to what you have to say.&lt;/r&gt;

Reactions: parentfriend

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
If you need extra help in getting him to think "happy thoughts" than by all means you should go for it.

One thing that bowled my over was that colour chart. It just seems demeaning to me for the school to rank the kids against each other like that in such a public manner. I understand that it is something to strive for, but to be publicly displayed as anything lower than blue can't be good for one's self esteem.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Like your son, my daughter used to get very frustrated in kindergarten when she couldn't do something, or felt like it wasn't very good. She would come home hysterical if her drawing of a butterfly did not look like one, or if she felt someone else's self-portrait was better. We spent a lot of time explaining to her that no one starts out being able to do everything, and that's okay. We told her that the whole point of school was to figure out what things you needed to practice more so that you could get better. We even quizzed her throughout the day, asking her "What is the best part of your coloring?" and "What part needs more practice?" to really underscore the fact that imperfection is normal.

Well it backfired. When it came to quarterly level testing, she would just say "I don't know" to any word that didn't come to her instantly. She didn't even bother to sound it out. So... we had to explain that you have to try your best, but if you still can't get it, that's okay. It just means that it's a "practice item." And when we work on "practice items" at home, we make it special to reduce that dread factor of having failed something. We designate a certain time to work on it, and put her in charge of keeping track of the time so she realizes it is an important event.

For us it was kind of a balancing act, helping her to be comfortable with mistakes but not complacent. You will probably have to phrase things several different ways to see what he responds to, but eventually he will perceive the difference between ambition and obsession, and find his own ways to cope. He obviously has emotional support at home. At that age, he probably has peers who have not reached that point of self-awareness yet, so his struggle might seem out of place. But they'll all hit it at some point!

Reactions: parentfriend