my toddler will lose tooth...

tiquin

Feb 14, 2008
Mid December my two year old fell and shattered one front tooth and knocked the corner off the other one!!!We live in Spain where there is no free dental care ,it would have been straightforward and quick taking care of her teeth back in England.Anyway we took her to the hospital so they could check her over and they then sent us to a dentist who prescribed antibiotics to avoid infection who told us to take her to her paedeatrician in a couple of days time.To cut a long story short she made us an appointment with the national health dentist nearly two months later.The appointment arrived and we were in the surgery for two minutes if that and they said that all they were allowed to do was extract molars and they wouldn´t extract the tooth in any case as there would no route for the permanent tooth to follow when it was time.He said that a private dentist would maybe able to build it up etc.However,we went to the private dentist a,they took an x-ray of the tooth and I was told that the tooth was infected and that it would have to be removed as it was bothering the tooth underneath.I have mixed feelings about all this,I feel really angry that I was made to wait 7 weeks to see a dentist for nothing when I thought there I would find a solution and ofcourse I feel really guilty that my daughter has been through all this and that she is going to lose her tooth.I´m left thinking that maybe if I´d gone private right at the beginning that we would never have got to the point of having to extract a tooth.So, the tooth is coming out on Friday,poor little thing.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Sorry to hear you are going through this. It is hard to see your children with tooth problems. When my daughter was three we went to a water park and their slide was off a bit and when my daughter was smiling the piece caught her front tooth and ripped it from her mouth. I was freaked out.
They couldn't put it back in and said that her permanant would be in when she was around six. She's six and we are still waiting!
When my daughter just went for a CT scan I was so happy to see the tooth in the x-ray. hehehe
I have never heard of a tooth not being pulled in a toddler because the other tooth has to follow a root. That's a new one.
I hope things get taken care of and you both feel better soon.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
When Kaylynn was 5, my kids and the neighbors were outside playing. One of the older ones had the brilliant idea of tying a plastic wagon to a metal Radio Flyer wagon, and then tying the metal one to a bicycle. Long story short, Kaylynn was in the plastic one, bike hit a bump, wagon fell head-forward and she smacked her mouth right into the metal wagon. Her rightside front tooth went up in her gums, killed the nerves. Leftside front tooth came down, killed the nerves. She had to have them both removed. She turned 7 in September, and she's still got a jack-o-lantern grin. :)