Names...

Emily

May 8, 2010
Lexington, KY
The names I have picked out for my future children...

Girl - Holly Sofia
Boy - Elliott Joseph

What do you think?

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Naturally I think the boys name is pretty good ;). I didnt think at the time that the double "L" and double "T" was so unusual, but no-one can ever get it right.
And Sofia was one of the finalists for a girl we had.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i love them... i tend to go for more alternative names personally as everyone here knows i called my kids

Felix Xavier Aleem and
Alegra Esme Skye.. LOL

but for names that are less unusual i think Holly and Elliott are great and they go so well together another boys name i like (sticking with the "E" thing is Elijah... i think it is one of the coolest names for a little boy... naming babies is the best bit :) :)

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
yeah, as a rule I'm with you Nettie... i like unusual names and i like unisex names but from these i love the names you chose... Holly Sofia is just such a pretty combination and Elliott Joseph is such a noble sounding name... i REALLY like that one..

my kids are

Aimee (biological)
Caidance (adopted - didn't choose name, but have fallen in love with it)
Camryn (adopted - didn't choose this name but was always a favourite anyway)

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I think theyre lovely names.

When we were thinking up names for the girls we didnt want completely off the wall names, but we didnt want names that every second child would have (this coming from John and Amy, there are hundreds of us)

Our kids are
Rebekah Catherine
Lilith Michaela

Im guessing by the time Lily is in school there will be a fair few Lily's, but I guess thats not really her name, so its up to her what she goes by, we call her Lily mostly, but then we call Rebekah Bek mostly.

Bek is the only Rebekah/Rebecca in her school, which I was actually a little surprised by, I thought there would be at least one other one, but no, apparently its not a common name anymore.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i know a few little girls called Lilly but they are all Lillian...

i like Lilith but it makes me think of the Demon out of Supernatural... LOL

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Ahh, never seen that show.

MIL had a fit when we named her that, anyone familiar with Jewish folkore would know that the myth behind Lilith is that she was Adam's first wife in the Garden of Eden, but she refused to obey him and ran off with Archangel Samael (the angel of death) and married him, God know that any children they bore would be demon spirits so he castrated Samael, she then attempted to have children with other men, so God made her infertile. Some people also believe that she transformed herself into the snake that tempted Eve.

Some people really believe in this folkore and between birth and circumcision make their sons wear amulets with the names of saints written on them to protect them from Lilith. MIL isnt that fanatical about folkore, but she still believes in it. So explaining to her that we named our daughter Lilith didnt go down too well.

She's not overly fussed now, initially she reffered to her as 'Michaela' but once we started calling her Lily all the time she started calling her that.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I have noticed in other English speaking countries people often spell their children's names differently, such as Jordy's daughter Camryn, we don't do that here, unless it is a genuine mistake it would only be Camron and a strict boys name. Just as people wouldn't spell Katie as Kady.

Here Jesse is strictly a girls name as well, where as I have been in America and met boys called Jesse.

I have a girl in my class, her name is sorrelle but her parents are stupid and spelt it sorrel.

Our children have Welsh names and English names, they tend to go by their English names more (which is to the right).

We have in full
Eurwyn (Ayr-win) Jackson (the Jackson is because it is traditional to carry on the mothers maiden name), Eurwyn means fair as gold in Welsh.

Caniad Amelia Bandit

Llywelyn (proncouned Cle-wel-in) Jacob.

Our two youngest don't have Welsh names as we didn't name them, they don't have middle names either.

My first name is Bryn which means hill.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i love names with Different spellings LOL and Jordy has a Camyn and a Cady LOL he used both of ur examples..

here Jesse is mainly a boys name but can be either

if i had to name my child a common(ish) name i would give it an unusual spelling just to make it different. like

Hayley - Hayleigh
Maddison - Madisyn
Caitlin - Kaitlynn
Isabella - Izabellah

Jason - Jaisyn
Kaden - Kaidyn
Christopher - Kristoffer
Nicholas - Nikolas

haha i could go on forever.... i love alternate spellings and i LOVE names with the letters F,J,K,Q,V,W,X,Y,Z they are sharp letters and just look awesome in names

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Ah, here Kady and Cady are pronounced totally different. If you spell Christopher Kristoffer you do realise by doing things like that the name is now pronounced differently don't you, Kristoffer would be pronounced Kre-sto-fe

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Antoinette said:
(sticking with the "E" thing is Elijah... i think it is one of the coolest names for a little boy...
Well! :D :D :D Thank you! That's very flattering! lol

My son's name is Elijah Mathew. Mathew is DH's middle name. I always wanted to name my kids an uncommon name, but not to the point of it being weird. Like Elijah, not a very common name, but its not crazy different either.

Emily - I like both of those names a lot!!! Elliott was definitely on our list of boy's names when we were deciding for Eli. I always thought it was so cute. Holly is very pretty. Reminds me of a teacher I adored from my childhood. A very cute name.

If we were to have more, there are so many we have thought of. We ARE NOT even close to being firm on any of them lol but here are a couple we have thought of and are fond of:

Girl - Emily (lol randomly)

Boy - Asher or Rowan

I really don't know though. Naming, to me, is the HARDEST PART!!! :eek:

Emily

May 8, 2010
Lexington, KY
Xero said:
Well! :D :D :D Thank you! That's very flattering! lol

My son's name is Elijah Mathew. Mathew is DH's middle name. I always wanted to name my kids an uncommon name, but not to the point of it being weird. Like Elijah, not a very common name, but its not crazy different either.

Emily - I like both of those names a lot!!! Elliott was definitely on our list of boy's names when we were deciding for Eli. I always thought it was so cute. Holly is very pretty. Reminds me of a teacher I adored from my childhood. A very cute name.

If we were to have more, there are so many we have thought of. We ARE NOT even close to being firm on any of them lol but here are a couple we have thought of and are fond of:

Girl - Emily (lol randomly)

Boy - Asher or Rowan

I really don't know though. Naming, to me, is the HARDEST PART!!! :eek:
Ooh, I love Rowan! I wish SO did!

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
Jeremy+3 said:
Ah, here Kady and Cady are pronounced totally different. If you spell Christopher Kristoffer you do realise by doing things like that the name is now pronounced differently don't you, Kristoffer would be pronounced Kre-sto-fe
well Jordy's daughter (Cady) is pronounced like Katie but with the "D"

and almost every Kris i have ever met has had a K as apposed to the C.. so would read Kristoffer the same way i would read Christopher except i almost would read Christopher wrong i would read it as (Christ-Offer)

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I like the boys names but I'm not too big on Holly...but that might be because i dated a girl named Holly and she broke my heart (b*tch)

i love alternate spellings and i LOVE names with the letters F,J,K,Q,V,W,X,Y,Z they are sharp letters and just look awesome in names
I like those letters too..except "X" and "Q" they just bother me lol.

I know it sounds weird but one of the reasons I LOVE all our kids names is because we can use their first and middle name to let them know how mad we are at them. etc. MEGAN SEIR! DYLAN LANE! DANE CHRISTOPHER! KATHERINE LEIGH! ANDREW WILLIAM! KAITLYN GRACE!
and Jon is adopted but his name really works like that too JONATHAN RILEY!

By the way. Megan's name is pronounced Maygen. and I've just always loved the way we spelled Kaitlyn's name.
We wanted to name Billy "Shayne" but in the long run it was kind of more important to me to name him after my dad.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
no i mean Christopher i read Christ as in Jesus Christ and then offer like the word offer lol thats not how Christopher is supposed to be pronounced.. i have never heard it pronounced like that...

and FO6... i LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Megan pronounced like Maygen

ephemeralsoul

May 11, 2010
U2 Bono's sons name is Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q.

I've always liked the name Xandra for a girl.
And Stellan for a boy.
And Skylan. And Sian. And Jaylan.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Emily- I like both names, they have good flow and sound nice together.

My older kids names were easy, Ted Lewis II named for the hubby's dad. Samantha Lynn was supposed to be Samuel Jacob but she turned out a girl :).

Megan Alexandra and Charles Lupan who is called Lupan, I didn't name them but I would have probably used those names.

It starts to get tricky here, Colton Mangus, I did not want the middle name but hubby gave me the first so he got the middle. Savannah Hope-Elizabeth, MIL hated that Sam had my mom's middle name so I through it in thinking it would be my last DD (we know how that turned out) Aiden Nikolas, I struggled and we could not agree, finally Sam suggested Aiden from a band she likes and I always liked Aiden on all my children and Nikolas was just something I liked. Kailyns was hell to decide on, Kailyn comes from "The Legend of the Seeker" and Megan wanted her middles name to be be Morgan, so a name she got but we were thinking of Rebbecca Cheyenne...Kailyn Morgan won.

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
I like both names, but I think 'Holly Sofia' sounds a bit 'harsh' together, if you will. It's kind of hard to say together and when she gets in trouble, you WILL be saying it. :) Separately, I would have chosen either and loved it, but I wouldn't have put them together in my mind.

We have Alexander Neil Ryan after Alexander the Great and Neil Armstrong. Other names we had picked out for him are:

Robert Ballard Ryan (if you don't know who he is, then look him up)

Samuel Thomas Ryan (Samuel means 'Gift of God' and Thomas means 'Twin') It would have been absolutely fitting given our circumstances

Charles Yeager Ryan

For our little girl, we have 'Olivia Leigh-Ann Ryan' Because Olivia was the most beautiful name either of us could think of, and the middle name is a hyphenation of Mom's middle name and Grandma's first name..

Her Alternates were:

Abigail Leigh
Molly Ann
Mallory Ann (until we found out that Mallory means failure)
Jennifer

Whatever name you choose, I'm sure you'll love it... :)