Names...

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
Emily said:
The names I have picked out for my future children...

Girl - Holly Sofia
Boy - Elliott Joseph

What do you think?

I love those names! That would be perfect for your future children.

I named our son Tro Jan (two words) and my hubby named our daughter Olivia Jacqueline

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
lola said:
I named our son Tro Jan (two words) and my hubby named our daughter Olivia Jacqueline
No offense intended, but, was your sons conception the result of a contraceptive failure? Just thinking he's going to have to deal with that question the rest of his life.......

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
IADad said:
No offense intended, but, was your sons conception the result of a contraceptive failure? Just thinking he's going to have to deal with that question the rest of his life.......

Lol. He tells me that his classmates call him Trojan virus sometimes..he's okay with that though and he is known in school because of his name. Even told me that in review class that almost all his professors remember his name and calls the others with what they were wearing. I think he is happy with his name.
My husband wants our first names initial to be together on our sons name and I can't think of any name for some reason. A nurse suggested Troy Jan and i removed "y". :eek:

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I live in a culture that is not like the one I grew up in and the names here are a never ending source of entertainment to me. This culture is predominately West Indian (African Descent). There are a TONS of made up names, just meaning that they are not common and most of the time the parents kind of invented them on their own, as well as the spellings. With most of these names very African sounding. BUT, nobody seems to go by their name. Most people have a nickname, that has nothing to do with their real name. Just to give you an idea of some of the nicknames.... Ball-bee, Fyah (fire), Ital, Fed-up, CeeJah, School Food, I think you get it!

My thoughts on names... as much as I like unusual names, I try to stick to something that doesn't tell too much about the racial or ethnic background of the child. When my kid grows up, and they hand in a resume, I want the person reviewing it to be able to make as little judgment as possible about them from their name. I like unisex names, that are easy to pronounce. Just my 2¢!

I've got a baby boy on the way and we are thinking of names now. I've got a few ideas, but I'm still open. Most of the names I like the husband doesn't. I told him, "You get the last name, I get to pick the first name!":D I'm thinking of "M" names. Just because my name is "J", Husband's is "K", son's is "L", and for some silly reason I just thought we should follow the alphabet and go with a "M" name. Anyone got any suggestions? I think the top runner is Mica, no "h" at the end, spelled just like the mineral.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
cadewendy said:
Strange Names = Strange Kid. What happened to names like Mary?
i'd say -- strange names -- strange parents.
yup, its in the eye of a beholder, but i lurk in quite a few parenting forums. sometimes people come up with topics like "is Prada or Escada a nice name for a girl?". oh well, then i seriously hope that people are just trolling or joking.

as for OP -- very nice names!

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Emily said:
The names I have picked out for my future children...

Girl - Holly Sofia
Boy - Elliott Joseph

What do you think?
not a fan at all of double naming. i do like the name holly though.... i like real traditional names....mostly of english decent. aint into at all the weird names that are poppin up nowadays.

3sACrowd228

PF Fanatic
Aug 2, 2010
UK
i have a lot of problems naming my children. Sometimes my first husband picked and sometimes i picked. Its a matter of who has a good name idea.

dancon

Sep 14, 2010
Chiming in about names -- my wife wanted "Anastasia" for our daughter.

I said that sounded too much like Anesthesia and I swore if she decided on that I would file the paperwork with "Halothane" as a middle name -- which is an inhalational general anaesthetic ;)

(We ended up naming her Lucy after my mother)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
dancon said:
Chiming in about names -- my wife wanted "Anastasia" for our daughter.

I said that sounded too much like Anesthesia and I swore if she decided on that I would file the paperwork with "Halothane" as a middle name -- which is an inhalational general anaesthetic ;)

(We ended up naming her Lucy after my mother)
but Lucy Halothane, is a little weird... ;)

Amberr

Sep 22, 2010
I have some ideas for baby names, but sometimes I think looking for baby names is jinxing me!

Not great at girl names, I want something girlie.. But the names I like now I probably won't like 12 months from now.

For Boys.. I like the names
Noah, Dylan, Ryan, Matthew, & Parker no middle names determined..

For Girls.. (gets harder)
Kassidy, Skyler, Kayla .....

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I find myself saying, "if I ever had a little girl/boy I'd name her/him...." Now that I have a baby boy on the way all of those names went out the window! I have a few that I like, but I'm gonna have to see him before I name him. I really love the name Iyla, but I am thinking it might be a little too 'different'. It would go over well in this culture, but I'm not sure it would go over too well stateside if he ever decides to go there. I guess that's what middle names are for, right? You can stick the weird one you really like in there where it doesn't get used too often.

biru

Oct 25, 2010
Indonesia
The meaning behind the names is important IMO. Seems like many famous/successful people have names with good and strong meaning.

My daughter names means a noble, strong woman who'll be successful even when she is old. While my son's means a wise army commander who is also victorious. Their names are a mixture of Western (Gaelic/Celtic/Irish & Italian) and Indonesian Javanese names.

Daughter: Briannha Citraningsih (Annha)
Son: Gualthiero Wicaksonojoyo (Roy)

I spent a lot of time researching their names, along with help from a name consultant. I don't think naming your kids with names that sound cute without giving thoughts to their meaning is good. That's just my opinion, though. :)

chikygrl13

PF Regular
Sep 16, 2010
Valencia, CA
my future children...

for a boy- Corwyn Malcolm
Corwin is a caracter in my SO's favorite book, Malcolm is my Scottish clan. (grandmother's maiden name was McCallum).

For a girl... I have no idea. I like Kayliegh or Elizabeth, or Carys. Middle name I'm leaning towards my SO's mother's name- Isolde.