Names...

brit16

Dec 18, 2010
My husband already knew what he wanted to name a boy, before he even married me! He is just lucky that I loved the name.... Ty Morgan. Ty is now eight months old!

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
DW and I are planning on having a few select names narrowed down and then choosing a name once he is born. Our biggest worry is that if we pick a name and he arrives, we'll go "Aww, that doesn't look like a -insert name here-"

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Incogneato said:
DW and I are planning on having a few select names narrowed down and then choosing a name once he is born. Our biggest worry is that if we pick a name and he arrives, we'll go "Aww, that doesn't look like a -insert name here-"
This is what we did. Best plan ever!!!

Except good thing she was a girl, because I was pretty sure I wanted to name her Megan, which we did end up naming her. But with the rush of labor, we totally forgot the list at home, and if we'd had a boy he would probably still be nameless because we realized at the hospital we couldn't remember any of the boy names on our list, LOL! So stick a copy of your name list in your suitcase!

OP - I love those names!

And I prefer more traditional names as well. And for some reason it drives me up a wall to see things spelled differently than the traditional spelling - probably because I have an English degree and I feel like it is misspelled? But, to each his own.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I worry about forgetting our list of names during the mad rush to the hospital, but in order to help, I decided to also put the list on the cell phone notes area of both of our phones so we'd have an electronic copy also

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
You know you don't have to have a name for them as soon as they're born, you can name them on your own schedule, so it's not like if you forget your list at home, they're going to name him "Poindexter" by default...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Haha yeah that's true, you have quite a while I think to fill out the birth certificate info. I think me personally, I just couldn't stand bringing my baby home without something to call him. xD

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Haha yeah that's true, you have quite a while I think to fill out the birth certificate info. I think me personally, I just couldn't stand bringing my baby home without something to call him. xD
oh sure, it would be really awkward, you know people want to know right away and you want to tell the baby right away, but it's not like tthey're going to say -wah - times up - name your baby ofr we're naming it for you.....

I had a co-worker whose actual name was "Peaceful Spirit" and she said she got her name from her parent's minister walking into the room after she'd been born and saying "there's a peaceful spirit in here." I told her she's luck he didn't say "Whoa, smells like Sewer Gas in here."

I know, it's mean, but it was funny.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
IADad said:
oh sure, it would be really awkward, you know people want to know right away and you want to tell the baby right away, but it's not like tthey're going to say -wah - times up - name your baby ofr we're naming it for you.....

I had a co-worker whose actual name was "Peaceful Spirit" and she said she got her name from her parent's minister walking into the room after she'd been born and saying "there's a peaceful spirit in here." I told her she's luck he didn't say "Whoa, smells like Sewer Gas in here."

I know, it's mean, but it was funny.
I would agree that there is obviously no real need to have it immediately, but if you've already had 7 months or so, it's time to at least have a list or a good idea. Stop procrastinating.