Nathan...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'm bumping these photos down toward the bottom so you have to scroll down to see them. I wanted to make sure you had a disclaimer, because these photos aren't easy for some people to see...including me. But, he's doing alot better than the pictures would lead you to believe.

Official stats: 1.9 pounds, 13.5" long.

He can actually breath on his own, so the breathing tube is more for assistance than anything else.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You know what, I have seen a lot of pictures of premies in my mommy clubs online and whatnot, and in my opinion for his age he looks GREAT. He looks so good! He is just so precious! And soooo tiny and helpless. Look at those tiny diapers haha. I'm just so glad to see that he looks so good. What a lucky baby. :) Congratulations Steve.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Congratulations! We're all pulling for him and keeping mom and dad in our thoughts and prayers as well.

I don't know anything about premies at all but I think he looks great too!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
His skin looks pretty good for his age, babies earlier than 28 weeks tend to still have extremely thing translucent skin, but as he is pink/red and not purple you can see it is quite developed, which then reduces his risk of infection.

Was he given steroids, or had they been delayed due to the fact that they wanted him to be born after 30 weeks? As of course you'll know the issue is as well the use of steroids can make PC worse can't it.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Yeah Jeremy, she had 2 doses of steroids before delivery. That was really helpful because of lung development. Definite plus to get those in beforehand.

Today, they're taking out the breathing tube and putting a breathing mask on him...that's also a really good sign. He came through the night fine lastnight...all vitals looking really good.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree his skin looks wonderful that was my first thought. Usually babies this early are that purple/red color but he is more of a peachy pink like a later baby would be. :) I was also wondering if he got the steroids, that's great! Must have done him some good since he is breathing so good by his little self.

When do you guys get to hold him?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh cute story I forgot to share, when my grandpa was born he was extremely early and only about a pound and had no eyelashes or fingernails or anything and the doctor told his mom that he wouldn't make it and to just take him home and comfort him. He was so tiny, she kept him in a shoe box lol. Obviously, he made it just fine and went on to do lots of great things with his life. :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
He's so tiny :) I think he looks really good too! So cute! But you are right, it's hard to see a baby hooked up to so many things. It just tugs at your natural instinct to pick him up and hold him close.

How is mom? She did an amazing job growing Nathan. I hope she is feeling well and her BP is back where it should be. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures :)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Hey

I look just like that on Sunday mornings.

Handsome looking little dude.

we will be watching

bssage

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Hey guys - They offer a free service here called "CaringBridge" that allowed me to set up a website for Nathan. I uploaded a bunch of pics and will be my primary source of sharing information. If you'd like to see it, all you have to do is set up an account (It's free) and you can see him. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you the link.

(Sounds spammy I know, but after 3000+ posts, I would imagine I'm trusted.)

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Latest - Heather is doing pretty well and will hopefully be discharged on Monday. She'll obviously be off work for a while.

Nathan is on a different type of ventilator to help his lungs stay more open...thus allowing him to learn to breath better. His vitals are still strong, and he's moving around a ton!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Great news! Is the new vent the ones that vibrate? I'm glad to here that Heather is doing good enough to get to go home...and I would like the link also.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Thanks ladies..I'll send you the link.

M2M - Yes, it's the ventilator that vibrates. It's interesting because at his size, the ventilator vibrates his entire little body. But it's doing really well to open up his lungs and help him breath better.