Need advice. I feel like my daughter hates me.

Pandad

Aug 7, 2021
Hello,

I'm a dad to a 1.5 y/o toddler. For the past few months, she has been avoiding me like the plague: She won't kiss or hug me when I ask her, and doesn't want me to hold her on my hands at all, not to mention sleep on my lap. , while being extremely cooperative with my wife.
My wife tells me that I need to be nicer to our daughter, even though all I do is set boundaries on what behavior is and isn't acceptable (like throwing food off her chair or throwing fits when she doesn't get what she wants), and use an assertive tone when teaching her and rarely raise my voice. On the other hand, it feels like my wife is just says yes to anything and barely sets boundaries at all, something that her grandmothers also do.
It kills me inside seeing my daughter avoid me the way she does, and all I get from my wife when confronting her about her 'yes woman' behavior is "You're just jealous".

Is this normal? Should I just give in to my daughter's whims? Should I keep on setting boundaries with her?

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
As a daughter to a mother and father similar to your dynamic (mom always let us do what we want but dad was the hard-ass) as an adult I appreciate my father a lot more than my mother. Yes, my dad and I fought a lot especially in my teens but his lessons turned me into the functioning adult I am today and I'm grateful for him to have endured my anger toward him for as long as he did.

I don't think you should give into your daughter and I'm sorry she's not affectionate with you but I think in the long run she'll come to appreciate your sacrifices now in order to turn her into a better person. Good luck! I hope your wife gets on board with you about discipline sooner than later so you don't have to bear this alone.

Reactions: Pandad

daddyjonathanglover

Oct 4, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin.
Hello,

I'm a dad to a 1.5 y/o toddler. For the past few months, she has been avoiding me like the plague: She won't kiss or hug me when I ask her, and doesn't want me to hold her on my hands at all, not to mention sleep on my lap. , while being extremely cooperative with my wife.
My wife tells me that I need to be nicer to our daughter, even though all I do is set boundaries on what behavior is and isn't acceptable (like throwing food off her chair or throwing fits when she doesn't get what she wants), and use an assertive tone when teaching her and rarely raise my voice. On the other hand, it feels like my wife is just says yes to anything and barely sets boundaries at all, something that her grandmothers also do.
It kills me inside seeing my daughter avoid me the way she does, and all I get from my wife when confronting her about her 'yes woman' behavior is "You're just jealous".

Is this normal? Should I just give in to my daughter's whims? Should I keep on setting boundaries with her?
Oh those damn woman, I tell you. My wife has always been perfect i suggest you just divorce her and get a new one if she doesn't start respecting you buddy. As for your daughter, you're doing nothing wrong but may I suggest maybe taking her fishing it helped me build a bond with my 4 year old son.