New issue with DD...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Chloe will start to walk in a doorway, stop, and not want to go any further. Any room (home or school) going in or out. All the time. We have to push or force her (protesting)to go foward. Has anyone ever seen this before or have any experience with this??<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

Its been going on for a little over a week.

Bryan

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Hmmm....that is strange. Are there any issues if you carry her from room to room, or only when she's walking?

Delaney has been doing this thing recently where she gets scared to go down the hallway by herself. Might be an age thing.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
She has a total meltdown if we pick her up and try and carry her. She is also getting up in the middle of the night standing in the living room crying. and its the same deal. Try and put her back in her room or even in bed with us total meltdown.

I do not like this Daddy is supposed to be able to make everything alright.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Anytime.

Last night

This morning bathroom, Leaving the house, Entering the school, Entering the classroom.

Teachers talked to me about it today. They are also having problems.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Maybe the school has a good early education guidance counselor that you can speak to about this. I wonder if she had a bad dream or something that triggered this fear so suddenly. I would imagine that it's just a phase but it wouldn't hurt to dig a little deeper.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
She has a team of people that I plan to contact. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a simular issue.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Hopefully someone here has seen something...definately keep us informed on this one...I'm very curious what's going on with that little one.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
has anything, like decorations, changed in her world lately? My girlfriend has this problem with her son when things are changed around in his classroom or the put up hoilday decor. Also whenever she changes the smallest things around the house. Everything has it's place and if things are moved around he will meltdown completely. He's 3 1/2 and has high functioning Autism

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
We only started decorating at the house yesterday. This has been going on longer than that.

But you are right. She is not very adaptive to changes in her enviroment.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
this little boy even knows when the toothbrushes are in a different order in the bathrrom and it can wreck the whole morning, chairs out of place, pillows moved around....all these things get to him. sometimes he reacts harsher then others. Most days he'll fuss about ti a bit then move the things that are out of place but other days, especially if there have been other changes in his routine, he won't even enter the room. He'll just scream and scream and it takes quite a lot to calm him back down :-(

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I think the problem with autism is that there are so many unknowns and most of the proffesionals are busy trying to prove that there theroies are correct. It seems everyone has a different approach.

It would be nice to find a true child Advocate. Who could cut through the bs and agenda's to develope a "best pratices's" menu.

In small comunities like mine there are even less resources.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I agree with you 100%. I spent many years working with autistic children and no 2 were ever alike. They all have different needs and different levels of understanding. nobody will ever be able to nail down one way of caring for these children, it would be best for everyone if the docs could put their pride aside and figure out what would be best for each child based on who they are and what they best respond to

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Right now it appears that this issue was related to the last issue. apparently she had not gone #2 for a little while. This must have been waking her up. I think that she thought we were going to give her a suppostory. Which caused her to be paraniod about entering other rooms. (we had to trick her a little to get them in last time)

Anyway she went #2 and everything seems to be better now I.E sleeping through the night, will let you lead her into rooms, including going to school.

The local Autism expert did not ever return our calls so scrw them.

I know it doesnt make much sense but after the poop everything went back to normal?

Bryan

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
well I think it makes sense. She was uncomfortable, and that's hard on any child but can send an autistic child through the roof. I'm glad she's doing better

BentMonk

PF Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2008
Louisville, KY
bssage - Chronic constipation is a common symptom associated with Autism. Since you said the behavior lessened after a #2, this may be the root of your issue.

I have cared for a young man that would exhibit similar behavior, seemingly at random and without obvious cause. It was the same type of thing, entering or leaving a building, getting on or off the van, etc. I can best describe his behavior as, extremely frightened. He would hold on to me and hug me very tightly. Then, also for no apparent reason, he would let go and return to his usual happy self. He is non-verbal so it was very difficult to ascertain any possible cause.

I believe that diet is critical in helping those with Autism gain control of there symptoms. This approach IMO makes much more sense than drug therapy. It is also easier to implement, and has little or no negative side effects. Due to the nature of the environment that the young man lives in, putting this theory to the test was not possible. His diet was inconsistent and not the healthiest.

I am currently working with another young man who has, Asperger's syndrome. He is 18. We have had success with basic meditation techniques, and exercise as a way for him to gain self control. I am working with him and his family to design a diet that will hopefully add to our success. I will keep you updated with our results.

I know your daughter may be too young to understand all of the concepts behind meditation, but the basic element are; controlling her breathing and creative visualization. PM me with more details about your daughter and I will be happy to put something simple together for you.

As with any restrictive diet, consult your pediatrician. The most widely recognized success story concerning effective Autism treatment through diet is Jenny McCarthy and her son. There are dozens of articles and interviews about them on the net. I hope I have been helpful. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. :)