new partner...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
At what point to people feel it is appropriate to introduce a new partner to their kids? I have been seeing someone tremendous for months when my niece has stayed at grandparents houses etc. She knows this person as a friend and has only been around him with other adults who constitute part of my social circle. Any suggestions?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I made it a personal rule for myself that I would not introduce my daughter until I was sure it was a seriously committed relationship. I ended marrying the only man she ever met

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I think it depends on the age of the child, how mature they are, and how serious the relationship is. Age plays an obvious part in it, a 5 year old would have a different understanding then a 13 year old and yet the 5 year old may be more accepting of it where as a 13 year old may harbor stronger feelings. I think that a relationship has to be headed towards something permanent, not just those first months where everything feels right, we know how quickly things can change. Since she already knows this man it may make it easier, I would keep the grown up part to yourselves, but set up times where you can do thing togather, but revolve around things your child likes to do, and gradually introduce your relationship....I know what I am trying to say but am having a hard time finding the words, is what I am saying make any sence? Good luck!