newborn conjunctivitis...

gerrr

PF Regular
Feb 16, 2008
rural Japan
Our little two-week old guy has conjunctivitis in both eyes. Doc gave antibiotic drops and said tear ducts may be blocked. We're using the drops but I don't want to use antibiotics excessively and I'm wondering what we can do to get the ducts draining. Newborn bacterial infections make me nervous. (Can you tell I'm a first time parent?)

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Have you tried nasolacrimal duct massage to open the blocked duct? Here's a description from BabyMD:

The tear duct should be massaged by placing your little finger in the corner of your child's eye in the same place that you felt the knot in the corner of your eye. With medium pressure, press on this area in a downward motion about 10 times on each side. Remember you are trying to milk the tears along the duct, even though this area is only about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch long in your child.

(Google something like "blocked tear duct infant massage" for a diagram and other info.)

My son had a blocked duct without an infection. We massaged it a couple of times a day with light pressure (not medium - he was teeny). It cleared up and never came back. Of course, if he has a bacterial infection as well as a blocked duct, massage isn't going to be and enough and he'll need antibiotics.

Congratulations on your little one, and I hope he is feeling better soon!

Elizabeth

PF Regular
Feb 2, 2008
Put breast milk in his eyes. My son had that at a year old. I did the breast milk drop and it was like magic.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
3 of my 4 girls had it. Some worse than others. The doc gave us the drops also but then told us to massage her tear duct too. Neither really worked. It was just something that had to work itself out. I do know how you feel though. My husband used to tell me "Do something, we can't take her in public like that" lol.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
All of ours had it at one point as well, I always massaged them with a warm cloth and it was fine. :)