not about parenting, but it is about a parent I met from freecycle. (rant)...

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
So, in case you don't know this about me (which you likely don't), I'm an artist, its my only real skill...I sell portraits and things to earn extra money

well, I was looking on freecycle and there was a woman looking for stuffed animals, ok, I had some, no big deal, I offered them. We got to talking and she was having a 5th Bday party for her Daughter...I was in a good mood and I said I'd be happy to help out, I have streamers, maybe I could draw a little Dora or something. Well, she liked the idea, asked me to draw a 3ft Dora...ok...then Diego, then Boots. She did offer to pay me but I noticed she was a caterer and I told her I would happily do the work for a few cinnamon rolls. I committed at least 7 hours to this project...I suggested to the woman that she could pick me up a chicken sandwich from burger king because it was more work than I expected it to be...heck, they only cost $1...well, she showed up, I gave her 2 bags of stuff, plus the pictures I drew (which looked damn good) and then asked where my cinnamon rolls were...she...FORGOT THEM!! :arghh:
Thats like going to walmart and putting everything up there and telling the teller "Oh, I forgot my purse, but since I drove all the way here, let me have everything free"...yeah, that woul NOT fly. I was polite...I did pout a little. I carried the drawings out to her car...I was upset but I acted friendly because I'm not an asshole....I asked her if we could at least be invited to the party ...( so what, she ripped me off)...well she told me when, but not where...said she'd e-mail the details to me...well, she'd better, because as far as I'm concerned, what she did was like paying with credit card, she owes me!

I feel so used...she was getting a GREAT deal to begin with!! She could've thrown me $5 for a tip or SOMETHING! It took me SO long....she was supposed to be a professional caterer...I only wanted some damn cinnamon rolls! :'(

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I thought everything on FreeCycle was supposed to be FREE. Yes, the two of you made a verbal agreement, and you got stiffed. A bummer, but is it really worth getting upset over cinnamon rolls? Forgive me if you were just venting. Vent away! I'd be upset, too. Chalk it up to experience and be wary of this particular FreeCycler in the future.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Why would you want to go to a birthday party for someone's kid you don't even know?

Maybe that freaked her out.

And you ALWAYS could have said no...you just wanted to be weak, and look what happens to nice people.

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
the bag of toys was free, the service she wanted was not, So what if my fee was simple? I still wanted it. I wouldn't call it "weak" that I didn't want to be an asshole....weak would have been throwing a tape dispenser at her, lol. I wasn't quite that angry, ha, yes I was annoyed, I wanted my cinnamon rolls, lol....and yes, I'm so nice. :) On the up side, she has friends and those friends will see my art *advertising* and I get first dibs next time she's going to give something away. I was just hungry when I ranted, lol, I had to eat a donut instead :)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
When dealing with people you know very little, you're bound to run into a few flakes that are forgetful, or lazy, or simply don't care. Don't let such people change your ways because 90% of the time doing good things for others leads to more good things happening.

A few years ago a woman posing as volunteer for our yearly "Giving Tree" gifts for kids, went around and stole all the toys people had bought for low income kids. Who in the hell does that?

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
FooserX said:
*plays a violin*
Behave! My word, you're like a child!

jtee said:
When dealing with people you know very little, you're bound to run into a few flakes that are forgetful, or lazy, or simply don't care. Don't let such people change your ways because 90% of the time doing good things for others leads to more good things happening.

A few years ago a woman posing as volunteer for our yearly "Giving Tree" gifts for kids, went around and stole all the toys people had bought for low income kids. Who in the hell does that?
Are you serious?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
If you were the one that offered she doesn't owe you a thing. Next time make sure you verbally make an agreement. Just because you volenteer your services doesn't mean someone owes you. If you asked to come to my kids party I would think you were strange. Sounds a bit greedy to me.

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
You are right she should have brought you a bunch of cinnamon rolls, or offered to drop some off to you.

There is nothing wrong with providing something to someone at risk as long as you can afford the outcome. It's a great way to build relationships, and commitments in people.

If you had done that for me I would have sent you rolls for a year, and gave your name and number to all of my friends.

Good job not throwing a tape dispenser at her. I'm proud.

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
wow....how awful that someone would steal from poor children!!!! That really is just awful!

The woman may have taken advantage of my kindness, but now that I think about it, I don't regret it at all. Her little girl will have a happier birthday thanks to me:) So, thats enough for me.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Now that's a better way of looking at it V.

veronicadavis said:
wow....how awful that someone would steal from poor children!!!! That really is just awful!

The woman may have taken advantage of my kindness, but now that I think about it, I don't regret it at all. Her little girl will have a happier birthday thanks to me:) So, thats enough for me.