Not sure what to do......

mom_of_three

Sep 30, 2008
I have an 18yo daughter from a previous relationship. A little over 4 years ago, she moved in with her dad on a full-time basis. Last year, things went south and she decided she wanted to move back here.

She's been in my house for 2 months full-time. She is a senior in high school. Her father has made no attempt to contact her or see her since she left his house. She has, however, gone to his house for visit once...all through communication with his wife.

I feel as though my daughter is lost. She has no drive or ambition when it comes to her future. We've offered to help her save money for a car, but she has yet to take the responsibility to save money from her job.

She treats our house like it's a hotel. She spends most of her time in her room, on the computer, texting or watching TV. Very rarely does she spend time with us as a family. She doesn't offer to help with the household chores. She doesn't spend any time with her two younger half siblings...and she often uses an irritated tone when speaking to them.

Two weeks ago, my husband tried to have a talk with her which ended in an argument with her disrespecting him in many ways. They aren't talking now and I'm not sure what to do. For a while there, both of them felt as though I was on the other's side which left a lot of tension in the house.

Last night, I tried to have a conversation with my daughter, but she began to talk disrespectful to me and the conversation didn't go so well.

I guess I need help in figuring out the best course of action to help my daughter see that we want to help her and that we're here for her...but she needs to show respect and stop acting as though she is a tenant in our home.

She says she wants to be treated like an adult, but she doesn't act like one. We've given her ample opportunity to prove to us that she deserves to be treated as such, but she keeps disappointing us.

Are we expecting too much? Please, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would let her know that if she wants to be treated like an adult she needs to behave like one...let her know that you are happy to have her there and you want to help her in any way you can but if she is going to continue to act this way she can leave. If she would like to continue acting like a tenant you could always start charging her rent

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Yeah she's at that age where the world won't look at her like a kid anymore. There's no second chances in the real world it's time she start learning tht at home.

Try sitting her down and making a formal contract with her. Something like if you do this and this and this then we will do this and this and this. For infractions there will be consequences. Lay out the consequences. We are providing you with a safe place to live and in return we expect this and this.

Something like that. Get her to agree to it and then there can be no complaining.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, it's really all about tough love. I never had that problem, I always respected my parents and their home like I didn't deserve it. But I know that if you continue to let her act like this, she'll keep doing it. I know people like her. Not that they're bad people, they just lost the concept of appreciating and respecting what they have.

Anyway I agree with laying down the rules. All of us here know that it takes a lot of hard work to be an "adult", and you can't just have all the freedom and the attitude of any adult without all the hard stuff that comes with it. She wanted to come back, she needs to be glad you let her come. Tell her she can go back to daddy if she hates it so much with you. Tell her she either needs to learn to behave and be nice and be part of the family or she can get her own place and treat that however she wants. Or at least pay rent at your house.

mom_of_three

Sep 30, 2008
Thanks, Everyone, for all your great advice. I plan on sitting down with her...We've tried a few times since the incident, but nothing has helped. She's been "better", but that only lasts long enough for her to get what she wants.

I just can't believe that she has no ambitions or goals in her life. Her thought process is so warped and wrapped up on her friends. It's really kind of pathetic. I don't ever remember being that way when I was younger...and I really wish her father was more willing to help out - not financially - just emotionally. Oh well...

Thanks again!

lchadder

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Dear mom of three,
It is really very nice to have 3 kids to call your own. But to get them realize their responsibilities is your responsibility. I suggest you to go to this website kidrewardzone.com
They have certain organized way of getting the kids do the chores and also be rewarded for them. It would be fun for you and your kids. You will also be able to spend a lot of time together. Don't forget to try this. It is really worth.