Notifications and like/dislike...

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Hello team,

Two questions about the forum.

1) is there some notification problems lately? There has been several recent thread I have been following, for which I did not receive notification. I was wondering if the problem was on the forum side or on my side? Anybody else has the same problem?

2) I was wondering if there was a way to add a "like" and a "dislike" button on each post, a la facebook, so that we could spontaneously vote on posts.
The current reputation system is okay, it serves its purpose, but it's not the same. What do you guys think?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I haven't had any problems with notifications, but I do know that on occasion I do not get some. A glitch maybe?

I would LOVE a like-dislike button or at the very least a better rep system. I can honestly not give anyone rep. Doesn't matter who it is either, I can spread the wealth till I am blue in the face and it still won't let me.

It may be something the other mod's (me included) bring up to the admins...lets see what they say.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Not sure about the notification thing. I don't even bother with it. Like email notifications? I would love the like button as well or something similar. Someone would have to bring it up to the admins. I would but currently I'm not really the one for the job because my computer is out of commission and I've been relying on my phone for days. Bleh.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I don't use notifications, so not aware.

I'd be in favor of a like / dislike or star rating.

I'm on my phone to right now thanks to more rigid monitoring at work, so I can get it to admins but it well be sometime from home like next week.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
The notification system is definitely defective. In the past 2-3 days, I did not receive a single notification anymore.

Also, when I connected a few hours ago, the system displayed 4 or 5 thread as having new data; but only 2 actually had some new data. Some were older thread for which I had already read the content. Something is going on. Perhaps someone should notify the host?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I will bring to the admins attention. I just got 5 or 6 notifications on Private messages while I only had 2 new PM's so something seems messed up.

Thanks

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
singledad said:
I received a few notifications after this thread was posted, but it has stopped again... What's going on?
Still not working.

How do we communicate with the web site managers / technician?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
parentastic said:
Still not working.

How do we communicate with the web site managers / technician?
I just passed it on to the admins. I have been meaning to pass this thread on to them. Sorry for the delay. :) They are usually pretty quick, so either they will reply about it here or I will let you know what they said.

cg admin

Administrator
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks for the report everyone. We are looking into this issue right now.

As for the like/dislike button - we can work something out.

cg admin

Administrator
Oct 30, 2008
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delayed response!

I just got back with the engineers. The issue may have to do with the way both the software and server sends out the emails. To prevent the server from being blacklisted as spam, there is a filter in place that sends out only a few hundred emails per hour. So for some threads you're subscribe in, the emails will not be sent. In any case, our engineers will take a look and see if there is a workaround to this issue.

With that said, I'm looking into the like/dislike feature right now. I'll provide you guys with an update about it.

Thanks!
Jasper

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
cg admin said:
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delayed response!

I just got back with the engineers. The issue may have to do with the way both the software and server sends out the emails. To prevent the server from being blacklisted as spam, there is a filter in place that sends out only a few hundred emails per hour. So for some threads you're subscribe in, the emails will not be sent. In any case, our engineers will take a look and see if there is a workaround to this issue.

With that said, I'm looking into the like/dislike feature right now. I'll provide you guys with an update about it.

Thanks!
Jasper
Thanks for looking into it Jasper!
For the record, this feature has fully stopped working all together for weeks now, as far as i am concerned. NONE of the threads i am subscribed to, even the new ones or the unpopular ones are working anymore for me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
parentastic said:
Thanks for looking into it Jasper!
For the record, this feature has fully stopped working all together for weeks now, as far as i am concerned. NONE of the threads i am subscribed to, even the new ones or the unpopular ones are working anymore for me.

Thanks!
Ditto. I really doesn't feel like a load issue to me. This isn't exactly the busiest forum I've even been on, after all...

If you ask me, something crashed, or there is some authorization problem...

(Sorry. Developer here. I trouble-shoot involuntarily. Can't help myself. :rolleyes:)

cg admin

Administrator
Oct 30, 2008
No problem guys. I'm happy to help!

So I looked into the "Like/Dislike" feature. What do you think about just having a like button? From past experiences, a dislike button can create a negative atmosphere for the community due to differing opinions. It de-incentivizes people from posting if their post is constantly being disliked. Here is an awesome plugin we can install:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231666

Let me know what you guys think. :)

Thanks!
Jasper