Oldest son seems so cold and deattached...

Jwelles

Jan 11, 2010
<t>I know my son is older than 25, but… I still cannot help it but worry about him dearly. I feel like he’s putting himself in a position that he’ll regret and not be able to reverse. <br/>
My son, Alex who is 33 came by for Christmas on one of his very rare visit. It was a great joy to see him, but many things are really bothering me. I’ve always been really worried about Alex since he was one of the most difficult kids I’ve ever raised. I have to drop out of school because I was pregnant with him. I and his father remained married until Alex was about ten. When I and his father divorced, he watched his father took his own life which was very hard for everyone. <br/>
When I and my now husband met, Alex pretty much avoid everybody but me. Alex would go out of the way to not talk to my husband or any of his children. He doesn’t even talk to his own sister or either of sons I and my husband had together. Alex would always find a way to get away from home and stay away from home as much as possible. <br/>
In high school, he was friend with mostly Bosnian people but he never really date anyone beside Bosnian girls or girls who are already out of high school which doesn’t goes too well with me or my husband. Despite of excelling at swimming, wrestling, and track, he has always been aloof toward his teammate and ignored them. <br/>
After he graduated from high school at 17, he turned down offer from Couple University to attend a commercial diving school. After he got his license, he moved back home to look for a job. Shortly afterward he says he’s going on a long trip but in reality he went to Yugoslavia to join Yugoslavia army to fight the Bosnian war. Shortly afterward, he fought in Kosovo war and that his girlfriend got kidnapped during the war and was never heard from again. He also spent years in Yugoslavia army and anti terrorist unit until 9/11 happened. He ends up go work for some contractor in Afghan and Iraq. <br/>
During whole those years he was gone, he’d probably talk to us only once every few months and we saw him only four time and we didn’t even know any of this until just a couple years ago.<br/>
To this day we’re not even sure what he’s doing with his life, but he says he has a house in Croatia and is working as a commercial diver. But he have made up thing such as saying he was working as a welder or metal sheet worker when he was actually in Yugoslavia army the whole time.<br/>
Also his relationship with my husband is still pretty much on a no talk term, he’s better with his biological sister, but as for rest of his siblings, he’s pretty much aloof and cold toward them. At one point Alex even told my husband’s son who is trying to deal with addict to pain killer and manic depression that he’s useless and should just overdose on the painkiller and save everyone the trouble of dealing with his drama. This doesn’t goes too well with anyone. <br/>
Whenever I tried to talk with him about relationship and love, I always end up become even more worried about him. From what I’ve seen, he’s either lone or go through multiple quick relationships in short period of time. He also says he doesn’t understand the issue of marriage nor why anyone would want to marry. He have even says that he absolutely refuse to have kids in the future. He says he prefer to live his life the way he wants to than being in a relationship and living a dull life. <br/>
I can’t help it but I’m getting really worried about him. It seems like he put very little value on connection between other people and is only really close to me and his biological sister.</t>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
You say he's close to you and his sister, yet there's so much you seem not to know about and to worry about. Have you told him you're proud of him, how you just want him to be happy? I'm not assuming you haven't, but from your post we don't know much about what you've ever said. Perhaps he just needs to hear that people love him and want him to be happy. Does he feel he let you down by not going to college, that you're disappointed? If so, now's the time to mend those bridges, what's past is past - I think he just needs to know you want him to be happy whatever he choses. JMHO

Jwelles

Jan 11, 2010
I’ve always tried to tell him that it’s important that he’s happy with whatever he’s doing with his life. I was a bit disappointed when he turned down all college offers especially since he could have got a free ride through some of them. But I did support his decision when he attended commercial diving school and was very happy when he completed it.
But when he left for Yugoslavia, the whole thing was just downright bizarre and I knew something was going on but I didn’t think it’d be to this extreme. I thought he’d be smart enough to stay out of a war, especially one that our own country isn’t even involved with. Then he went off to join contractor to fight in war instead of come and join USA military. Then on top of all of that, he lied to us about what he was doing with his life for years. So it is hard for me to say I’m proud of him because I honestly cannot agree with this foolish course of action.
As for happy, I don’t know if he’s really happy at all. I mean look at his life, it must be really hard on him. Also I’m afraid he’s going to end up lonely because he doesn’t want to get close to anybody.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
But when he left for Yugoslavia, the whole thing was just downright bizarre and I knew something was going on
Why, it's (hopefully) not like he's going there to be a terrorist and attack other countries.

I'm not saying i'm praying for my kids to move to another country and join their military...but I dont think I would find it bizarre.

If he came and joined the US Military he could definatly go to war anyway.

As for happy, I don’t know if he’s really happy at all. I mean look at his life, it must be really hard on him. Also I’m afraid he’s going to end up lonely because he doesn’t want to get close to anybody
No offense (seriously, if i'm offending anyone in any way just tell me to shut up) but he could be extremely happy with what he's doing, he may not want anyone to share his life with. Just because we wouldnt be happy doing everything he is doing doesnt mean he's not. (did that make any sense?)

Maybe this is what he's meant to do with his life. And he may have lied to you and the family about it because he thought you guys would over react.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I agree with FO6. There are alot of different paths people can take in life. Different epople find happiness in different things. What you find happines in may not be the same as what he does.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree. And maybe its because I am so close to it but it sounds like he may be undiagnosed Autistic at some level.

I think we can wish for many things for our children Marriage, family, good jobs. But when it all boils down what I really want. Its for them to be happy and healthy.

Think of it like this. He apparently is doing what wants, where he wants, and with who he wants. That doesn't sound all bad.

I can understand your worry. I would to.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
can't add much. but from the sound of the way he talks about marriage and never having kids it looks like he's never gotten over the divorce and his dad's death. whether he's happy or not with his life for the most part, it sounds like he should get some sort of counseling for the divorce and death of his father. if he hasn't gotten over that stuff then that could be the big reason he has never accepted his step-father and half-siblings. the other stuff--even though he's lied it does sound like he's been happy with the work/jobs he's had even if he did pass up a college education.---->not all people are meant for a better education than high school.
the many girlfriends goes back to how he probably still feels about what happened with you and his dad and all that stuff.

whatever it is, i wish you both and the rest of your family happiness and hope you two are able to heal your relationship sooner than later.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Really all you can do is to let him live his life the way he wants to live it. If he's doing it, he must be happy with it. If he needs your help, I'm sure he'll ask. Why would he live in a manner that makes him unhappy? I don't see any reasoning in that. He's an adult, he will figure out his own life, and you can be there for him to love and support him in any way he lets you and that's all we can do after they grow up and take off on their own.