Olympics...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
So... anyone watched the opening ceremony? What did you think?

My DD is suddenly determined to become a professional gymnast. She wants to wear sparkly leotards and dance and jump around on a bar (balance beam)... Her poor Barbie dolls have done nothing but gymnastics since she first saw it... LOL. I wonder if it will pass once the olympics are over, or if I'll have to start searching for a club that have classes for little girls? :p

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
If your little one is keen on gymnastics, please put her into it. It is really nice that she is showing interest and this will he;p her get fit and use her time productively. And who knows, if she is really good in it, she will be a part of the Olympics some day! Encourage her! Good luck.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I don't have a problem with putting her in gymnastocs, its just that I don't want to just assume that what might very well just be a little girl, dazzled as much by the sparkly costumes as by the impressive skills, is necessarily a serious passion for the sport.

But seriously, is it normal for little kids to react this way?

And I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the opening ceremony...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Yep, every single one of my kids have done this, haha. It's how Sunny got into gymnastics (she has been doing it for 6 years) and how Lux got into horse riding (4 years) Dita and Azriel went a little nuts too, but neither of them stuck with a sport long enough (well, Dita stuck with ballet for 12 years, but that wasn't exactly an Olympics thing)

So, it seems to be Sasha's turn now... he wants to be a weight lifter :eek: yeah, that's not happening. Pick a new sport to idolise kid.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
cybele said:
So, it seems to be Sasha's turn now... he wants to be a weight lifter :eek: yeah, that's not happening. Pick a new sport to idolise kid.
LOL. Those weight-lifters scare me :eek: Thank goodness she didn't fall in love with something like that!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Ceramony was a little slow in the beginning but over all I thought it was pretty good.

My younger set has no interest in the Olympics.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Wait until she watches the ice skating! My sister and I walked every curb we could with perfect balance and an award winning smile.. and balanced on one foot in the skater pose worthy of our own medal... so did my daughter. :) It is the sparkles!

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
The opening ceremony was a good job, give the low budget and the act they had to follow. Humor was a good idea, there was no humor in last one.

We in the US are having a big fight over a new health care law, so the fact that the UK likes the NHS enough to put it in the Opening Ceremony was interesting.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My parents put me in gymnastics when I was 8 and I loved it. I learned to do a few things I couldn't do before, and it was exciting. I actually didn't succeed in my age group, so I had to be placed with younger kids. It doesn't matter if a person never gets good enough to compete in the Olympics; the fitness and coordination you learn are gratifying. Unfortunately, my dad was in the military and we never stayed in one place long enough for me to continue lessons.

I wish there were gymnastics where I live. I know it would be great for my kids. I enrolled my daughter in ice skating lessons when she was 3, after the winter Olympics made her interested. She enjoys it.

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Its totally normal for kids to watch something that amuses them and then wish to imitate that. It is just like kids coming home from school and wanting to be teachers. It could just be that you kid is in awe of the games. You could put her into gymnastics and if she develops real interest it will be great. It is nice for kids to be part of sports not only because we want them to get medals, but also because its good for their mind and body. Also you learn a lot of things when you play.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Well, Sasha doesn't wan't to be a weightlifter any more... because they just showed the trampolining on TV.

Meanwhile, the worst thing about my kids watching the Olympics:

"Mum, what country is *three letters*?"
Me: :confused:

It's proving exactly how bad I am at geography.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Lol. Trampolining got her even more determined to be a gymnast. I'm beginning to think I'll have to look for classes after all...

And a sparkly leotard...

The good news is, it turns out my gf did gymnastics when she was a little girl, and have been able to repair her relationship with my dd by teaching her how to do handstands.... :D

CadensUnc

Aug 7, 2012
I watch the Olympics, and now I want to be a professional cyclist. It's not just the kids that watch and dream...