• Keep it! It's handy!...

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Get rid of it! It's drama!...

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
What is it that I'm missing about the rep system that makes it important?

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I don't think it's really that important..it's a way to congratulate someone on a good or funny post, or "shun" for lack of a better word, them on a bad one.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
This is the very first forum I've been on that has the rep system. I don't care for it. Yes, it's fun to give good rep, but I think bad rep gets misused too often.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think the rep system is a good way to let others you really agree with them or disapprove without making it public.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Other forums have a system where you can give a thread 1-5 stars, rather than vote on a user.
Do people like this alternative, or scrap the whole thing?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I've heard of the stars being abused as well. Good rep only would be alright I think.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
I like it because it let me know if anyone thought my advice was good or if I was just posting and no one was reading it. I never got any replys to my commits and the conversations that were getting sidetracked kept on posting. I got good rep and it made me feel welcome and like I was doing something worthwhile.
I have not yet given any out but usually when I see an outstanding post that I think is awesome I give it. I am not fond of giving neg rep and i have never really had to. But I do like to look at the rep as a new user too so i know who I would feel comfortable talking to if I needed advice or those i should take advice from. :)
I seem to stand alone there and it would not hurt my feelings or change my opinion of the forum whether it was here or not. :)

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I think we already have a thread rating system. Honestly, and this is just my experience from another board where the thread rating system is in use..I hate it. Someone will give a thread 1 star and members will avoid it when it could actually be a very good thread with good information and they just don't like the particular poster. With the rep system..you can read the thread and get the good information, and just know whos information to put your stock in, so to speak. Honestly though, the rep system is so abused(in a good way though) that it doesn't mean much except being well liked-not necessarily informative.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Sirk said:
Other forums have a system where you can give a thread 1-5 stars, rather than vote on a user.
Do people like this alternative, or scrap the whole thing?
Scrap it all.