Overrated parenting/baby products thread...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I just wanted to create a thread of all things we thought was overrated and/or a waste of money. Feel free to post pics or just list it. It can be a product in general or specific brand. Anything that applies to parenting at any stage. Including products for kids.

1. Breast pads. They never stayed in place and they felt like paper miniature saucers. You could pretty much see them through your bra and shirt.

2. Super Saucers. You put baby in. Baby bounces a couple times. Baby grabs onto fixtures and tries to pull them off. Baby gets upset at the strict limitation. Cool to look at. Baby's want to be able to actually interact with things.

3. Diaper Genie. Okay, this was THE diaper disposal to have. It was also crazy expensive for a trash can. I knew someone who had one and I can't say it was very good at locking out that diaper smell.

4. Diaper change tables. How many baby's have fallen off these things because the parent turned away for a second? I know I have when I was a baby. You can get diaper change mats that you can bring anywhere with you. They are cushioned so you can just place it on the floor. It's not like it takes that long to change a baby.

5. Baby shoes. I'm talking about shoes for babies that can barely crawl and stand. They are not good for their foot development. I heard someone say shoes help babies balance. It's a false sense of security. Babies need to be able to learn how to stand and walk on bare feet. Shoes can come later.

6. Baby powder. I don't think I ever really used baby powder on my daughter. If you're not careful, the powder can get in the baby's airways and cause respiratory infections.

7. L'Oréal hair products for kids. Stuff is terrible. It gunk's up the scalp and causes major flakes. Dries out the hair. Don't even get me started on the detangle spray. Smells like sour Skittles.

8. Parenting Magazines. I used to read these all the time. Sure there was some good articles. Lately, I've noticed the content has become unrelatable. I could go on and on about them. The products they advertise are usually so expensive. Everything looks too neat and perfect. And they don't focus much at all with the teen years.

9. Snot suckers. As I call them. All you need is a Kleenex or cloth. At least you don't have to do the disgusting task of trying to get boogers out of a turkey baster type of contraption.

10. Electronic, heavy, noisy, light up toys. Spare me the "pay-back" line. Old-fashioned baby toys, like rattles and alphabet blocks (okay, those hurt when you step on them.), the block thing with shapes and the stacking cone, babies and toddlers learn more than you think with those and they were not nearly as irritating as listening to the same 1 or 2 chord tunes constantly, throughout the day. Plus, those things are so loud and it feels like they are going to bust open whenever your kid throws them around.

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
When I had my older two there was no such thing as an electric breast pump that you could buy/rent and have at home. It was manual only.
It was the most tiring and pretty much pointless task, especially when you are sleep deprived.
I see that they are still being sold, for what reason, I will never know.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
cybele said:
When I had my older two there was no such thing as an electric breast pump that you could buy/rent and have at home. It was manual only.
It was the most tiring and pretty much pointless task, especially when you are sleep deprived.
I see that they are still being sold, for what reason, I will never know.
At least their quiet. I had a manual Avant breast pump. Either way, it made me feel like a cow. Moooooo.
I didn't know you could rent a pump. That's gross.
I'm with you. Pumping is tiring. It's like the milk is part of your energy and it just sucks everything out of you. And no one else understands why you're tired and people feel they have to comment on why you look so tired.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Those light up, lullaby, or bubble sound things that attach to the cribs, apparently to put your baby to sleep.
These do not work. They are stimulating and the light can be too much. The sounds are loud and it actually keep babies up. It's just like having your kids sleep with a TV on, or computer on in their rooms.
Nightlights are the way to go if you kid is scared of the dark.

Sunglasses for babies. I can see these are handy for those especially bright days. But my mom told me that to rely on them all the time doesn't allow babies to develop their eyes so they can tolerate light. I did have a pair I used sparingly on my daughter. She would take them off or not want to wear them at all.

iPad holders for car seats and carriers. This wasn't invented yet when my kid was a baby, of course, but what a dumb idea. The iPad is placed so close to the baby's face and the baby has no way of shooing it away when they're tired of it, because they're not going to stay interested for long. And I don't buy the excuse that kids need to play on computer contraptions younger these days because that's the only important skill they need to learn for when they're older.

Last edited:

Marlene

Feb 12, 2016
RC
Totally agree with your list! lol

I have to add: very expensive new born clothes. Your baby will wear them once! And then they start to grow up so fast.

Another useless thing that I spent so much on: expensive strollers when there are strong and nice ones for 1/4 of the price!!!!?

artmom said:
I just wanted to create a thread of all things we thought was overrated and/or a waste of money. Feel free to post pics or just list it. It can be a product in general or specific brand. Anything that applies to parenting at any stage. Including products for kids.

1. Breast pads. They never stayed in place and they felt like paper miniature saucers. You could pretty much see them through your bra and shirt.

2. Super Saucers. You put baby in. Baby bounces a couple times. Baby grabs onto fixtures and tries to pull them off. Baby gets upset at the strict limitation. Cool to look at. Baby's want to be able to actually interact with things.

3. Diaper Genie. Okay, this was THE diaper disposal to have. It was also crazy expensive for a trash can. I knew someone who had one and I can't say it was very good at locking out that diaper smell.

4. Diaper change tables. How many baby's have fallen off these things because the parent turned away for a second? I know I have when I was a baby. You can get diaper change mats that you can bring anywhere with you. They are cushioned so you can just place it on the floor. It's not like it takes that long to change a baby.

5. Baby shoes. I'm talking about shoes for babies that can barely crawl and stand. They are not good for their foot development. I heard someone say shoes help babies balance. It's a false sense of security. Babies need to be able to learn how to stand and walk on bare feet. Shoes can come later.

6. Baby powder. I don't think I ever really used baby powder on my daughter. If you're not careful, the powder can get in the baby's airways and cause respiratory infections.

7. L'Oréal hair products for kids. Stuff is terrible. It gunk's up the scalp and causes major flakes. Dries out the hair. Don't even get me started on the detangle spray. Smells like sour Skittles.

8. Parenting Magazines. I used to read these all the time. Sure there was some good articles. Lately, I've noticed the content has become unrelatable. I could go on and on about them. The products they advertise are usually so expensive. Everything looks too neat and perfect. And they don't focus much at all with the teen years.

9. Snot suckers. As I call them. All you need is a Kleenex or cloth. At least you don't have to do the disgusting task of trying to get boogers out of a turkey baster type of contraption.

10. Electronic, heavy, noisy, light up toys. Spare me the "pay-back" line. Old-fashioned baby toys, like rattles and alphabet blocks (okay, those hurt when you step on them.), the block thing with shapes and the stacking cone, babies and toddlers learn more than you think with those and they weren't not nearly as irritating as listening to the same 1 or 2 chord tunes constantly, throughout the day. Plus, those things are so loud and it feels like they are going to bust open whenever your kid throws them around.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Infant bassinets. I wanted one so bad because they remind of Lady and the Tramp and I'm a sucker for antique, old-fashioned baby stuff that looks classy and cute. But the baby will outgrow it in a month or so. Just settle for a crib that can transform into a toddler bed and then into a big kid bed.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Baby hand booties, hand socks, things that go on their hands. I just don't see the need to confine their fingers. I've heard it's to prevent them from scratching themselves. Isn't that what infant nail clippers are for? I highly doubt if an infant does scratch themselves that they'll inflict much damage unto themselves.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
artmom said:
I didn't know you could rent a pump. That's gross.
Not at all. You rent the machine and buy the cable, bottles and nipple attachments. The part you are renting (aka the very expensive part) never comes in contact with any bodily fluids.

It is perfectly hygienic and not gross at all.

Naima

Jun 9, 2016
In fact, there is nothing to say over-rated.everything is essential when think its need you.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Naima said:
In fact, there is nothing to say over-rated.everything is essential when think its need you.
I understand first time parents think everything is needed and you can never have too much of anything.
Diapers, wipes, babycloths (especially if you don't own your own washer and dryer), things like that, yeah, you can never have too much. However, there are things that are over hyped and over, well, overrated. As in, they are a luxury and may or may not do everything it's been advertised to do. Or it doesn't serve much at all. Perhaps it's invention is merely an idea that came up out of desperation to earn the inventor more money. Take the diaper genie. It's a trash bin that is supposed to wrap every rolled up diaper in individual bags and it's suppose to lock away odors. I knew someone that owned it and I can't say it locked away the stench of baby poop. Plus, it's a very expensive garbage bin where you have to purchase refill garbage bags that are unique to Diaper Genie. It's only used until the kid is potty trained. It's just an excuse to not have to empty an garbage bin everyday or twice a day. I got along fine without one and my place didn't smell like diaper as much.
And then the Supersaucers, which are supposed to be a safer answer to the Canadian banned walkers. Those Supersaucer type things with wheels. But unlike walkers, the child can only bounce and is only good until the baby is, maybe, 9 months old. The "interactive" activity things only can be moved left to right, there's something scrunchy sounding thing and a teething ring they can never reach with their mouths. It's almost like the device undermines a babies intelligence and abilities. The bouncy seat was loud and seemed to be a potential danger. Jolly Jumpers were THE thing. I could hang it in the doorway of the kitchen and wash the dishes while my daughter spent 20 minutes bouncing and swinging herself. She was cooing and trying to talk to me. Then my mom would come home to a happy, lively granddaughter.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Naima said:
I have to agree but will admit to seeing some pretty stupid things periodically lol

I don't use a crib, never bought one except with my oldest. I've always co-slept, so I would see them as pointless.

The diaper thing isn't very convenient but I know plenty of people that would disagree.

I loved the saucer, it was great for when they were little and we were hanging around outside but I didn't want them mobile.

I had a walker that also locked it wheels, actually just gave it to a friend and my youngest is 6. I often locked the wheels to keep them out from under the feet.

Not a fan of high chairs. I like the ones that strap into the chair and don't really take up space.

Jolly jumpers were awesome for some of my kids, but others hated it.

Bottle sterilizers, another thing I don't see the point in. Just wash them with soap and water...

In other words it is a matter of perception and what a family feels they need.

Emily92

PF Regular
Mar 20, 2014
Burping cloths. I mean, when I read the name for the first time, I could hardly believe that they actually make anything called that!

Who needs 'burping cloths' when you can use perfectly clean, washed towels instead? Escapes me.