Parenting Styles...

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Parenting Styles and It's Correlates[/URL].

A brief summary of the article follows:

Developmental Psychologists stydying the influence parents have on the development of their children, commonly explore the same four styles of parenting. These four styles include Indulgent, Authoritarian, Authoritative, and Uninvolved.

Indulgent: More a friend than a parent, this parent does not place high demands on the child and avoids confrontation.

Authoritarian: This parent has very high expectations for the child and expects orders to be followed without question.

Authoritative: This parent has high demands but allows the child to suffer natural consequences. Is less demanding and more democratic than the authoritarian parent.

Uninvolved: This parent is rejecting and/or neglectful.

The article goes on to say that findings suggest children being raised in authoritative homes are more likely to do better in school than children of other parenting types. They are also more likely to have higher self esteem and have better social skills.

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
I'm not sure that I entirely agree that "Authoritative parenting" is the ideal. I'd consider myself "democratic indulgent" by those definitions, but don't see that as any worse or better than others. It's what works for my family.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Is this from Dr.Phil? I can not stand Dr.Phil. If it's not this exact same insert is in his book exactly. I'm none of these and some of these. It just depends on the child, what they are doing and where they are doing it at. I don't believe in those parenting books. Every parent is different, every child is different.
I'm way too tired tonight to post my views so I'll just leave it at that before I fall asleep on here. ZZzzz. Night

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
i tend to be democratic. i do like natural consequences. Sometimes I am a bit indulgent. i am trying to reign things in a little here?
So with this in mind fess up ppl. What are your parenting flaws?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I've taken the quiz before, and consistently score as an authoritative parent. We are HUGE on natural and logical consequences around here!! :)

My biggest parenting flaw, which I've improved on over the last two or three years, is being a big ol' marshmallow. I used to cave in way too easily if the child in trouble gave me a sad story about why they REALLY, REALLY needed permission to go here or do this. These days, not so much, as I got burned by it once too often.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Honesty, i think a parent should include a little bit of everything into their parenting techniques. I think with a healty balance of all, the parent/child relationship would blossom.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Very true.

There is a world of difference between authoritative and authoritarian.

Cobra - they're not really 'choices', unless you happen to be a sincerely introspective person able to make real choices about the sort of person you deeply want to be. They're really more a statement about the broad categories of parenting that do exist in the vast majority of homes. It's not so much about measuring up to the standard, as it is about recognising that often you do things in a certain way, not even realising that you're using a 'way' in the first place.

Me, I'm authoritative. My yes is yes and my no is no - but I will never punish my children for what I see as a transgression. There is behaviour and actions that I will not tolerate, but it's just my way of 'not tolerating' doesn't involve punishment.

My flaws, if I had to name ons is that I'm a bit of a pushover when it comes to bed time. The kids really ought to be asleep in bed now, it's 9:30pm, but I don't have the heart to seperate them... it's weird, they fight like cats and dogs making all sorts of ruckus, then when I come out to seperate them they BOTH call out each other's name and want to sleep together. Maniacs.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I am very much authoritative, but I am bit on the lenient side, as well.

My children know that I am the boss, no questions asked. We will not debate, we will not argue, what I say, goes. BUT, they also know that I'm a pushover on certain issues.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
About three years ago I had a discussion with a good friend of mine about these exact parenting styles. At the time, she was studying them in college in one of her child development courses.

I strive for Authoritative.